Big Show concert may be best ever

Hip Hop artist, Big Sean, performed for over 13,000 fans at CSUN’s Big Show Saturday, Oct. 20 on the Oviatt Lawn. The Big Show also featured Diplo and CSUN Battle of the Bands winners from 2011 and 2012. Photo credit: Brooke Mueller / Contributor

>>CORRECTION: Once the 12,000 Big Show tickets sold out, Associated Students were approved for an additional 1,250 which sold out in 48 hours, said Noelle Chesnut, executive producer of A.S. Productions.

CSUN was the place to be Saturday night for concertgoers, combining an eclectic mix of popular music and artists to create Big Show, CSUN’s once a year concert for students.

Noelle Chesnut, executive producer of Associated Students Production, said Big Show sold out for the first time in its 12-year history, selling 13,250 tickets in less than 48 hours.  Concertgoers arrived well before the 5 p.m. gate opening, bristling with excitement to see their favorite act.

“I came to the concert because I’m a huge Big Sean fan, mainly his style and music,” said David Anderson, senior business major.

Headlined by hip hop artist Big Sean and Diplo, a producer and electronica DJ, provided a mix for students that had not been seen yet.

“We decided to bring Big Sean and Diplo in based off what we think is the most current and hot right now,” Chesnut said. “Big Show has been a mostly hip-hop based show, but the fact that electronic music is really really current right now, we decided that we want to add additional mix rather than just the hip-hop that is normally performed at Big Show.”

Recent CSUN Artist of the Year award-winner Monroe led off the night, mixing their funk and hip hop roots into alternative rock for everyone.  Playing to a smaller crowd while students trickled in through security, Monroe got everyone in the music mood, playing both a mixture of rock and hip hop.

Between artists, the night’s emcee, DJ Mal-ski, kept the crowd lively. As it grew, so did the energy level.  Students had the opportunity to use glow in the dark paint on canvas walls set up just behind the concert area.  An interactive 3-D walkway was set up for students, or they could partake in any of the multitude of food trucks at the concert.

Big Show Battle winner The Bad Suns, an alternative rock band, started attracting a bigger crowd, which had some in the audience grooving to the music. With many still waiting outside or experiencing all the activities, very few were in a big hurry to see the opening act.

DJ Bamaca set the stage for Diplo by introducing the crowd to techno and house music and livening everyone up with an amazing light and smoke show.

As Diplo, walked on stage to a setting sun, the crowd erupted and fans rushed into the concert area. A sea of phones, cameras and iPads appeared among the crowd, snapping pictures and take video of his every move.

Blending a mixture of rock, house, hip-hop and his own hits, Diplo had the crowd on its feet, jumping up and down, waving their hands and bobbing their heads to every beat.

“Pon de Floor” set the audience off and gave the crowd a party-like atmosphere, with impromptu dance contests happening around the concert area. Diplo also danced along to his remix of Psy’s “Gangnam Style,” to the cheers of the crowd.

Things got livelier when he invited a few women to come on stage and dance along to one of his songs.

Nearly four hours after the event started, Big Sean took the stage to more than 13,000 screaming fans. Trying to get their best view of the stage, they climbed over anything and everything, including the production stage. Opening the set with “I Don’t Like,” featuring Kanye West, Chief Keef, Jadakiss and Pusha T, an already pumped up crowd got hyped up even more.

Working with DJ Mo Beatz, Big Sean played all of his songs from old classics to new hits.  Giving himself a break in his set, DJ Mo Beatz, played new hit music to keep the crowd amped up. “Marvin and Chardonnay” put the crowd over the edge, and a back-to-back rendition of “Mercy” and “Dance” brought the house down with confetti shooting over the crowd.

Big Sean came back out for an encore performance, singing “Supa Dupa Lemonade,” but left everyone wanting more.

Many waited around not knowing if the actual event was over, while others bolted for the door as the last song ended.  The overall feeling about the night was a positive one from those in attendance.

“It was amazing, and the atmosphere made it better,” said Guillermo Perez, freshman athletic trainer.

With a huge audience, problems were about to arise.  Multiple times during Diplo’s set and before Big Sean’s, the audience was asked to step back because those in the front were being crushed against the security railing.

To see more photos go here.

Concertgoers were crushed into the rail as the crowd excitedly pushed toward the stage at CSUN’s Big Show. Security assisted in lifting out crushed fans. Photo credit: Brooke Mueller / Contributor