Internet outage hits CSUN

>>>UPDATE 4:00 p.m.: CSUN experienced a campus-wide network malfunction Wednesday, causing several issues with computers.

Chris Olsen, senior director of infrastructure services for Information Technology, said the outage “caused intermittent Internet interruptions.”

“The intermittent Internet interruptions resulting from the external network attack (that) took place between approximately 6 p.m. on 10/24 to 4 a.m. on 10/25,” Olsen said.

Despite the length of the problem, IT staff worked through the night to identify and resolve the issue, Olsen said.

“The IT Help Center closes at 5 p.m. Between 5:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., approximately 30 faculty called the IT Help Center after it had closed and selected the option to be routed to the 24×7 IT Network Operations Center,” he said. “The staff at the Network Operations Center were able to explain that the campus was experiencing intermittent Internet interruptions and that IT staff were working to resolve the issue.”.

Olsen said the outage affected students that were trying to connect to the Internet either on-campus or those who were off-campus trying to access CSUN services.

Whatever the case, the problem should no longer be occurring.

“The attack was stopped by IT earlier this morning,” Olsen said.

>>>UPDATE 1:45 a.m.: Moodle, my.csun.edu, and campus wifi are still down.

An Internet outage shut down CSUN computers throughout the campus Wednesday afternoon.

The outage began around 5:30 p.m.

The Information Technology department is continuing to work on the issue and has no estimated time for a fix.