Quadruple homicide leads to pending regulation of illegal boarding houses

An ordinance that will regulate unlicensed boarding facilities was approved Monday after a quadruple homicide occurred in Northridge last week that led to the discovery of an illegal boarding house.

Los Angeles City Councilmember Mitchell Englander, who oversees the 12th District and is chair of the Public Safety Committee, led the development of the Community Care Facilities Ordinance (CCFO).

The Public Safety Committee unanimously approved the ordinance, according to Matt Myerhoff, communications director for Englander’s office. He added the ordinance was approved with a few amendments that addressed some concerns of disability rights groups.

The CCFO will regulate unlicensed facilities operating as businesses in residential areas with up to 50 people crammed into a single home, often without any supervision, programs or security, or adequate kitchen or bathroom facilities, according to the ordinance provisions.

The CCFO was carefully crafted to not discriminate against any groups, and it would enable licensed, well-run group homes to continue providing their services, Myerhoff said.

“The suspect may have been under more scrutiny if there had been other provisions in the laws,” Myerhoff said.

The ordinance will come before the city council in January, Myerhoff said.

The victims of the quadruple homicide have been identified as Amanda Ghossein, 24, Jennifer Kim, 26, Robert Calabia, 34, and Teofilo Navales, 49, according to Ed Winter at the L.A. County Coroner’s Office.