A.S. prepares for CSSA conference and approves new Senators

A.S. President Sydni Powell discusses the upcoming California State Student Association conference on campus March 16-17. A.S. presidents from all 23 campuses will be at the conference. File Photo / Daily Sundial

Associated Students discussed the California State Student Association (CSSA) conference that will be hosted on campus March 16-17.

A.S. presidents from all 23 CSU campuses will be at CSUN, discussing the association’s stances on future Senate bills and changes to policies within the association.

President Sydni Powell explained that one of the “hot topics” to be talked about is increasing membership fees for colleges involved. CSUN currently pays 62 cents per student to CSSA every year. A fee increase between 63 cents and 68 cents has been proposed, which could affect CSUN, who is one of the top three biggest schools paying fees to CSSA.

“The increase wouldn’t affect us too greatly,” Powell said. “Also, it serves as a great investment in a growing organization.”

Senators will also have the chance to vote as part of CSSA and decide whether to officially support certain state Senate bills. They will also be able to volunteer to help run the event.

The CSSA conference is open to the general public. Representatives will meet in the Colleagues Room of the Sierra Center on Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, they will be in the Grand Salon of the USU from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

A.S. approved the appointment of three senators, two members of the finance committee and three members of the Environmental Affairs Committee.

I’m finally getting the chance to touch the far corners of Associated Students and provide a voice for the Upper Division students,” said Bijan Nasseripourtowsi, new Senator of Upper Division. “I’m really excited.”

Nasseripourtowsi, a transfer student, is interested in getting Upper Division students more involved and to further discuss the upcoming iPad initiative.

“We have to enhance the wi-fi on campus,” he said. “If we have all of this great technology, but lackluster wi-fi, then what’s the point?”

Nasseripourtowsi is also campaigning to be the next president of A.S. and will be running against current Vice President Christopher Woolett.

A.S. Elections are going to be held March 26 and 27, with multiple polling stations across campus. To start off the election, a Kick-Off event will be held on Bayramian Lawn Monday, March 25.

Nadia Lomeli was also appointed today, and is now Senator of Health and Human Development. Having previously worked on the student government of her high school and currently working as recruitment chair of the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority, Lomeli is very excited to start her new position.

“I feel very qualified, I’ve had to manage my whole chapter and three sub-committees,” Lomeli said.

As Senator, she hopes to get students more involved on campus.

“I really want to see a lot more school spirit,” Lomeli said. “I want people to get excited about the great resources available at CSUN.”

Last semester, the External Affairs Committee received an online petition about the possibility of opening up a Metro line for students to use around campus.

“It would be a way for students to get to local hot spots,” explained Senator Sarah Garcia, the chair of the committee. “It’s not really that easy to walk around the Valley.”

The line would go from the dorms to areas around campus, such as Matador bowling or the Northridge Fashion Center. But nothing has been decided or discussed at length, Garcia said.

“We will be learning more in the next few weeks,” Garcia said.