A.S. considers making bicyclists, skateboarders dismount

Information courtesy of A.S.
Information courtesy of A.S.

CSUN Associated Students is advocating for new regulations that will affect bicyclists and skateboarders after reviewing the rise in injuries caused by riders from 2011 to 2012.

The A.S. senate approved the resolution on March 22 without opposition.

“We just want to make sure all students are safe,” said Adan Garay, 20, CTVA major and student government senator of arts, media and communications.

According to Garay, a legislative referral was brought to the AS office by a student that called attention to the safety issues on campus. The referral was given to the University Affairs committee where further research was done regarding the matter.

According to the resolution drafted by Garay earlier in March, bicycle injuries have increased from 60 in 2011 to 74 in 2012, and skateboard injuries have increased from 47 to 98.

In 2012, the Klotz Student Health Center reported that two fractures, three concussions, three lacerations, and 20 sprains resulted from skateboard impacts.

There were three incidents noted in the resolution.

A cyclist collided with an employee causing head, neck and facial injuries. Also, a skateboarder collided head-on with a pedestrian causing injuries to the pedestrian’s wrist.

One student lost control of their skateboard resulting in the injury of an employee. This happened on a downhill slope.

“We are in support of dismount zones on big downward slopes because the whole campus is not for bicycle or skateboard riding,” Garay said. “They are only supposed to be in bike lanes.”

According to the general manager of A.S., David Crandall, the student government decided that a dismount zone where students will have to get off their vehicles would be helpful on the downward sloping sidewalk between Cleary Walk and Matador Walk.

“We want people to skateboard and bike to school to have less traffic and keep (campus) more green, but on these specific zones we want to make sure that no further injuries happen,” Garay said.

There was also a proposal to add additional bike lanes on campus going north and south.

Other proposed dismount zones would be located on Lindley Avenue, stretching from Chaparral Hall up to the dorms and down Etiwanda, by Bayramian Hall. These zones have been described as high-traffic.

Not only are bicyclists and skateboarders a concern to the A.S. student government when it comes to safety, but so are vehicles that park on walkways. A.S. is afraid that this may contribute to more collisions during heavy traffic hours.

According to Garay, when vehicles are parked and unloading along walkways, such as Jacaranda Walk in front of Arbor Grill, it may cause pedestrians to step into bike lanes, increasing the chance of collisions.

The initial idea of the bike lanes that were added to the campus in 2012 along Jacaranda Walk was brought forth by A.S.

“(The proposal) was brought about to help support less use of vehicles and promote more of a green environment,” Garay said.

According to Captain Alfredo Fernandez of parking and transportation services, who worked closely with Garay during the drafting stages, the proposal has been approved through collaboration between Facilities Planning and police services.

“This is just one of those things where it’s been a long time coming. It’s fully supported by the students and the staff…we’re ready to implement this,” Fernandez said.

Students who violate the laws will be ticketed. During the first few weeks of implementation, flyers will be passed out to make students are aware of the new changes.

“We just want to make sure that all students are safe, Garay said. “We don’t want anymore accidents.”