Summer movie fest at CSUN

CSUN Summer Movie Fest shows "Jurassic Park" on June 20. The audience is spending time before the movie starts. Photo credit: Risa Akita / Daily Sundial
CSUN Summer Movie Fest shows “Jurassic Park” on June 20. The audience is spending time before the movie starts. Photo credit: Risa Akita / Daily Sundial

CSUN’s Oviatt Library lawn could possibly become the summertime favorite hangout where students and community members can spend time relaxing with kettle corn and fresh squeezed lemonade, while enjoying a movie on a big outdoor screen.

The CSUN Summer Movie Fest 2013, organized by CSUN Associated Students (A.S.), showcased their third movie, “Jurassic Park” on June 20. The outdoor screenings will take place every Thursday at 7.30 p.m until Aug. 29.

Vanessa Granillo, a CSUN sophomore majoring in TV production, came to the first day of the fest. She received an event invitation on Facebook to see “Back to the Future,” her favorite childhood movie.

“I think it’s great. It’s something to do over the summer because I am from the Valley,” said Granillo.

This year is the third anniversary of the fest, which was originally established by a graduate student who worked for A.S.

The fest also includes free arts and crafts activities such as face painting and balloon artists.

“We want to make sure that they have something to do or something that’s appealing to them,” said Jennifer Wade, a producer of the A.S.

The vast lawn provides opportunities for families to get together, where children can play soccer and adults can enjoy a picnic while watching the movie.

“We can have larger audience compared to 300 seats (in) a theater…There is a lot more interaction going on,” said Eric Planas, the senior producer of A.S.

Features include a sing-along version of  “Grease, as well as family hits such as “Finding Nemo,” “Brave” and “Toy Story 3.” A lineup of Will Ferrell favorites are also on the roster – “Talladega Nights,” “Anchorman” and “Elf.”

Last year, the event saw big numbers, drawing more than 400 people for each movie in July. Even still, A.S. expects to outdo last year’s numbers.

“It’s a very good time for the family to get together… the perfect thing….we’ve been around CSUN for a long time…both my wife and I went here,” said CSUN alum Ali Khurrum, who attended the fest with his family on this year’s opening night.