5 tips to stay cool in school

5 tips to stay cool in school
HotWeather
Andrew Fierro, 27-year-old physics gradaute student, cools off in the shade outside of the Oviatt Library on Aug. 23. Trevor Stamp / Daily Sundial

Staying focused in class when you are hot and dehydrated can be very difficult. Here are some tips to help you stay cool in this hot weather so your first week of school can be a success

1. Stay hydrated. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. You can refill your water bottles at refill stations located on the first floor of Sierra Hall, Jerome Richfield, and Manzanita Hall. SRC is giving away free bottles of water to students who register for the gym.
  2. Study, work, and relax in the shade or in air conditioned areas. Utilize the tables and umbrellas in the Sierra Center and take a stroll in the shade through the Botanic Garden.
  3. Make your own mist by filling a spray bottle with cool water and spraying your face sporadically throughout the day
  4. Rest your feet and buy something to eat at the Matador Bookstore Complex. Purchase a smoothie from Juice It Up! and head to the second floor for a little rest and relaxation.
  5. Wear loose-fitting clothes. Light colors will keep you cool, and cotton material is cooler than synthetics.
  6. Don’t forget to put on sunscreen. Webmd.com recommends you wear Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 15 or higher for moderate protection. If without sunscreen you burn within 10 minutes, SPF 15 will protect you for up to 150 minutes. SPF gives you 15 times more protection from the sun than you would normally have without it.