Street Swag: working in style

Street Swag: working in style

When it comes to landing the internship or job of your dreams, confidence is everything. If you look good, you feel good and that energy is just what employers are looking to take on in their workspace. Now if buying new clothes for that interview wasn’t on your priority list, you might want to reconsider purchasing those key pieces to help you stand out. The student struggle is real, but anyone can make it happen. It’s about being creative and adopting a fashion philosophy that works for you, your style and budget. You don’t have to have mad money to have mad style. Here’s four students’ looks that can easily transition from work to weekend wear. Hopefully they help inspire you to dress for success.

Women

Photo credit: Christian Scalburo / Daily Sundial

A leather skirt makes a standout wardrobe piece, it’s flirty yet edgy. It can easily work for a weekend out. This look would be appropriate if you’re applying for a job or internship in a more creative field. You can mix patterns without overdoing it. In this case, the pairing is a polka dot top and floral satchel. The mix of pattern and classic leather will help you stay on trend. Heels are always a must, they’ll notice that you made the extra effort to dress up. Plus they’re the perfect pump of confidence you need to strut into that interview. Just remember to practice walking around in them first!

Confidence in Color

A well-fitted dress with a subtle waist belt is airing on the side of simplicity. It’s a traditional look that works for any job or internship interview and can easily be styled for a day at school or weekend luncheon. Picking a solid bright color definitely makes you stand out and can help your potential employers remember who you are. This look is simple with neutrals and minimal accessories. Remember, when it comes to job interviews, less is more. Statement earrings and a watch add the right touch to show you’re detail-oriented and you have mastered self-presentation.

Men

Shake up that traditional cotton shirt and tie, slack combo and opt for a denim button up shirt with a fun, quirky tie. Instead of traditional black and grey, throw in some caramel corduroys to bring out the colors in a tie. Just remember gentleman: when your tie is bold, your shirt holds back and when your shirt is loud your tie quiets down. Mixing a printed tie and shirt is great for weekend wear but you don’t want to overwhelm your interviewer in the first meeting.

Modern Man

If you don’t want to look like the average applicant, go with a pattern. Plaid and stripes get you noticed and it shows that you have confidence and a know-how attitude. Here is a red plaid shirt paired with men’s hottest fall trend: a wool tie. A wool tie in a rich texture is a great investment piece that can work for date nights and other special occasions. You don’t have to always pair the tie with a blazer. For a more casual interview or day at the office fold up your sleeves and wear some dark wash jeans.

To make the most out of your work wardrobe invest in classic, quality pieces that will last and transition throughout the changing seasons of fashion. Think of your wardrobe like your bank account, you want to save for the things you really want and it’s an investment for yourself and your future. Make sure your outfit is pressed and crisp and if you want to really make an impression, arrive early. Come prepared with a printed resume, a portfolio (if you have one) and questions for your employer. With a well-polished look and the right preparation, you’ll be updating your LinkedIn profile with your new job in no time!