A.S. approves resolution to provide healthcare information to campus community

Associated Students (A.S.) held their weekly meeting at the Grand Salon on Monday. A.S. allocated a total of $6,130 to clubs and organizations this week for their events. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor

CSUN Associated Students (A.S.) approved a resolution to provide the campus community with more information on new healthcare options available for both students and their families.

During this week’s A.S. meeting, Vice President Talar Alexanian felt that students on campus should become more aware of resources available to them under the new Affordable Care Act and by Covered California.

“As many of you may know at the start of October new healthcare options have become available for CSUN students,” Alexanian said.

Covered California website, this new marketplace is a chance for people who aren’t provided insurance through their job or any other outlet, to be able to shop around for a healthcare plan that works best for them, according to the website

The Covered California website also states that it is now a requirement that under the Affordable Care Act that a comprehensive package of services be provided with healthcare plans. These services are called essential health benefits and include the following: ambulatory patient services, emergency services, hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance use disorder services, prescription drugs, rehabilitative and habilitative services and laboratory services.

Alexanian said she is pleased with the new set of resources students can obtain and is glad to be able to provide more information to those interested with the help of her fellow A.S. cabinet members.

“I think this would be a great opportunity for us to educate our fellow students and their families on this matter,” Alexanian said.

A.S. Chair of Finance, Sonia Vaswani (Middle), was awarded A.S. Member of the Month. She was recognized for her dedication, hard work and reliability. The A.S. meeting took place at the Grand Salon, USU on Monday. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor

During the meeting, the A.S. Member of the Month award was given to A.S. Chair of Finance Sonia Vaswani. She was recognized by the A.S. board for her dedication, hard work and reliability.

“I want to congratulate Senator Vaswani on being A.S. Member of the Month, she really deserves it, she’s here even when she doesn’t have to be,” Chief of Staff Luis Canton said.

Vaswani was awarded with a certificate as well as a dozen red roses.

A.S. allocated a total of $6,130 to clubs and organizations this week for specific club events.

They allocated $2,000 to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department for their CSUN CubeSat Project. This department has been working on launching a satellite since last semester and are now in phase two. They plan to be completely finished by December 2014.

A.S. also allocated $750 to CSUN LGBTQA for their “T is not Silent” event. This event will recognize the transgender community on campus and help with their cause.

$850 went to Smart Spenders for their annual budget for 2013-2014 and $2,530 was allocated to the A.S. Student Leadership Office for a new printer in their office.

“This printer is used by all of the A.S. staff and it’s definitely time for a new one,” Vaswani said.