CSUN Theatre Department performs “To Kill a Mockingbird” as first play of semester

CSUN Theatre Department performs To Kill a Mockingbird as first play of semester

Many students have read Harper Lee’s novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” at one point or another. Now, the classic story about prejudice and race is brought to life in a play presented by students of CSUN’s theatre department.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” is a heart wrenching story about a group of kids who learn life lessons as they witness the struggle for civil rights. They’re taught to look past skin color and the lies of the community they live in.

“The audience will be captivated by the new interpretation of a classic novel,” said  Cambria Falk, theatre major, who plays Scout in the production.

Benjamin Schwartz, who plays Atticus Finch, said they will be acting out the play from a storytelling point of view. The production will be setless—no house, no scenery. Instead the audience will see an empty stage with chairs and props. Actors have been rehearsing for an average of 13 hours a week to bring the play to life.

The theatre department will opened its curtains to the public on Friday, Feb. 14 at Nordhoff Hall’s Little Theater (NH121) and continued through Feb. 16. The theater will host further showings from Feb. 19-23. There will also be one showing with an ASL interpreter on Friday, Feb. 21.