Women’s Tennis: Matadors fall to 49ers for first conference loss

Despite winning the doubles point on Friday, the Matadors dropped four of six singles matches to lose to the Long Beach State 49ers 4-3. Photo Credit: Trevor Stamp / Senior Staff

The Matadors (4-2, 2-1 Big West) took their second loss of the season against the first-place Long Beach State 49ers (7-1, 4-0 Big West) 4-3 on Friday in a Big West match-up at the Matador Tennis Complex.

After winning her doubles match, No. 1 singles player freshman Vivian Lin defeated 49ers sophomore Ebba Unden in a tense singles match. Lin rebounded after the dropping the first set 2-6 and rallied to win the next two sets, 7-6 (2) and 7-6 (6). Lin has improved to 5-1 in singles matches in her first season.

According to Lin, the win against Unden came as a surprise, given Unden’s edge in experience.

In the No.1 doubles match-up,Lin and junior Criss Rodriguez beat Unden and freshman Maeva Razakasoa 8-3. The second doubles win for CSUN came from freshman Mickey Hsu and freshman Kristin Poei with a score of 8-5, clinching the doubles point for the Matadors and giving them the early 3-0 lead over the 49ers.  Hsu and Poei

Hsu and Poei are the lone undefeated doubles pair for CSUN as they improved to 5-0 on the season.

Long Beach State junior Karolina Rozenberg battled with Poei to split the first two sets, 6-1, 2-6 before taking the decisive third set with a 7-5 score, giving the 49ers their fourth singles match-up victory and giving them the singles point and the win, 4-3.

Despite their second 4-3 loss of the season, head coach Gary Victor has high expectations for the team’s future matches.

“I am very proud of all ten members of the team,” Victor said following the match.

The Matadors now sit at third in the Big West behind the 49ers and UC Irvine (3-5, 1-0 Big West).

The Matadors will face off against Florida International Panthers (2-1) on March 6 at 2:00 p.m. at the Matador Tennis Complex.