AS approves funding for sign language interpreter for ‘Vagina Monologues’

Associated Students senator Jesus Martinez-Ramirez suggested allocating up to $1000 for interpretive services for the play, Vagina Monologues, at the AS meeting on Monday.

The play will be presented by the CSUN Chapter of V-Day as part of a worldwide initiative to prevent violence against women and girls.

According to the V-Day website, “V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations”

The organization takes a creative approach to promote awareness, raise money and reinvigorate the essence of anti-violence organizations.

One of the ways the group hopes to raise awareness is by presenting “The Vagina Monologues.”

The play consists of a series of skits about abuse that women all over the world deal with: slut-shaming, homosexuality and abusive relationships are some of the themes presented in the play.

Originally only one interpreter was hired to translate, but Martinez-Ramirez wanted an additional interpreter to serve more deaf students.

Sonia Vaswani, Chair of Finance, said an interpreter’s cost is $35 per hour.

“We shouldn’t just give them $1,000 before determining if they really need it; interpreter services can be expensive and the money should be given out as needed.” senator Jennifer Perdomo said.

AS also allocated $3,000 for the Matador Pedal Sports Club.

Armand Armez, a representative from the Matador Pedal Sports Club asked AS for additional funds to finish building a car frame, and to attend the American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Human Powered Vehicle Conference 2014.

“I work so hard with machine design to show what CSUN students can do; if we don’t get (enough money) we won’t be able to go to the competition,” Armez said.

In other news, David Crandall, AS general manager, suggested installing a security system in the AS Children’s Center.

“This is a project we’ve been talking about for a long time,” Crandall said.

The measure would aid the installation of omni lock devices, which require keypad entry, on the hallway doors that lead to the classrooms, and a call button underneath the front desks that will dial University Police Services in the event of an emergency.

In addition to tighter security, Crandall suggested safety classes for the AS Children’s Center staff, “in case shots are fired.”

The measure will not require AS to allocate funds because, “the Children’s Center has it’s own faculty improvement fund and (…) has it’s own allocated funds,” Crandall said.

Crandall also talked about Art 100’s semester-long recycling project.

The project was inspired by the Campus Facility and Design Center and is meant to inspire a new design for the revamped recycling center and present ideas for what the center should be called.

One of Art 100’s projects, called “Trash Formation,” can be seen on the second floor of    Manzanita Hall.

AS also announced March is AS Awareness Month, and information about AS and what it can do for CSUN students is available on the AS tables at the USU.