Media literacy panel presented to help students think critically

Students interested in improving their media literacy filled Nordhoff Hall for a panel discussion presented as part of Pivot TV’s Eyes Wide Open campaign

The event featured experts in the media literacy field including Jaime Uzeta, senior vice president of Pivot TV, Tessa Jolls, president and CEO of Center for Media Literacy, John Simpson, privacy project director of Consumer Watchdog and Dianah Wynter, associate professor in the CSUN department of television and cinema arts.

The event was moderated by journalism professor Bobbie Eisenstock, who said the objective of the discussion was to help the public become critical thinkers, effective communicators and active citizens.

The panel of experts examined how students can think critically about what is both viewed and shared on the Internet. Attendees were provided with the necessary information to use media more effectively and specifically, be more aware of the digital footprint each individual leaves the moment they log on to the Internet.

“We’ve allowed a business model to emerge that suggests to us that we’re getting on the Internet for free,” said Simpson. “But we pay with our privacy. Those digital footprints represent your privacy.”

Panelists referred to the responsibility of each individual to consider the sources of information before consuming. According to a statistic reported in the opening video shown at the event, one in four adults said they share information and content they know may not be entirely accurate.

For more information on Eyes Wide Open, please visit www.pivot.tv.