Suspects captured near VPAC after crash

The CSUN Police Department arrived on the scene of a Toyota minivan that crashed on Lindley Avenue near the VPAC loading dock. The suspects fed the scene and were later apprehended by CSUN PD. Photo credit: Calvin Ratana/Opinion Editor
The CSUN Police Department arrived on the scene of a Toyota minivan that crashed on Lindley Avenue near the VPAC loading dock. The suspects fled the scene and were later apprehended by CSUN PD. Photo credit: Calvin Ratana/Opinion Editor

UPDATE >>

An Oxnard man and a Riverside County woman were taken into custody by CSUN Department of Police Services after their vehicle crashed into a curb near the loading dock of the Valley Performing Arts Center Aug. 26, 2014, police said.

Andrew Coombs of Oxnard and Melissa Riley of Menifee were involved in a pursuit possibly involving a stolen vehicle that began Tuesday morning in Simi Valley, CSUN police Chief Anne Glavin said.

The Los Angeles Police Department Devonshire Division picked up the accident and launched a helicopter in pursuit of the suspects.

At around 11:25 a.m. the information booth attendant called the CSUN police and informed them that a vehicle had driven onto campus, “at a high rate of speed” and crashed near the VPAC loading dock, Glavin said.

A CSUN police officer and his K-9, Mitch, searched the vehicle and picked up the scent of the suspects.

“The dog lost the scent near the campus quad area,” Glavin said.

Around that time a student called and said they found a backpack and saw two people running into a campus building.

CSUN police apprehended the suspects on the second floor of Citrus Hall, Glavin said.

The suspects were transferred to Simi Valley PD.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Sgt. Rich Lamb of the Simi Valley Police Department told the Sundial that Riley and Coombs were involved in the pursuit. It was CSUN Department of Police Services that disclosed this information.

Neelofer Lodhy, Ryan Mancini, Calvin Ratana and Michael Arvizu contributed to this story.