Basketball: Big West Honors CSUN ahead of tournament

File Photos/The Sundial

The Big West Conference awarded six CSUN basketball players for their regular season performances early Monday.

Men’s basketball forward Stephan Hicks and forward Stephen Maxwell were selected All-Big West Conference Second Team and Honorable Mention, respectively.

Women’s basketball guard Senior Ashlee Guay was awarded First Team All-Big West honors, senior guards Cinnamon Lister and Janae Sharpe were selected Honorable Mentions, and freshman center Tessa Boagni catapulted her way to the Big West All-Freshman Team.

Sharpe also claimed Big West Defensive Player of the Year after finishing the season with 29 steals. The senior also recorded her first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds against UC Davis in February.

Guay became CSUN women’s basketball all-time leading scorer this season, and scored a career-high 33 points against UC Riverside on Feb. 28. Lister led the Matadors with 61 3-pointers and moving up to third on the list of all-time 3-pointers made with 150. New Zealand-native Boagni averaged 5.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in her debut season.

Hicks averaged 16 points-per-game and lead CSUN in scoring this season, along with being the school’s all-time scoring leader. The senior made 81 percent of his free-throws this season, making the most shots from the line in Big West history. Maxwell led CSUN in rebounds this season, grabbing an average of 8.1 boards-per-game. He is right behind Hicks in leading scorers with 14.6 points-per-game.

The Matadors venture on to Anaheim at the end of the week to kick-off the Big West Tournament. Hicks, Maxwell and the rest of the men’s team face top-seed UC Davis Thursday afternoon, while the women’s team awaits their match up after notching the second seed in the conference and earning a bye from the first round.