CSUN Unravels in the Third Inning, Falls to UCLA 9-1

Crystal Photo Memories
Despite and early home run by Katie Hooper, the CSUN softball team was only able to come up with one run as they fell via mercy rule to UCLA in the first round of the 2015 NCAA softball tournament at Easton Stadium in Los Angeles California on Friday, May 15, 2015. (Raul Martinez/ The Sundial).

After just five innings, the Matadors (41-16) fell to the No 7 Bruins (46-10).

Though CSUN started the game on top, they were unable to stop the Bruin offense.

With two outs and nobody on, sophomore catcher Katie Hooper hit a home run over the right center fence to score the first run of the game.

The Bruins tried to answer back the next inning, but were unsuccessful. After loading the bases in the second inning with one out, the Matador defense shut down UCLA and they were unable to score.

The third inning changed everything for the Bruins, as back-to-back home runs from UCLA gave them a 5-1 lead. From that point, CSUN would have a long way to go if they were going to come back.

The fourth inning brought four more runs for the Bruins making it 9-1. Unable to score any runs in the fifth inning, CSUN fell to the Bruins due to the mercy rule.

The Matadors return to the field to face the San Diego State Aztecs at 2:30 p.m. at Easton Stadium.