Sundial Update

Valley New High School to become Northridge Academy

The students, faculty and community surrounding Valley New High School No. 1 have voted on a new name for the school and are currently awaiting approval from the Los Angeles Unified School District school board. “Northridge Academy High School” is the name that has been chosen for Valley New High, located next to the CSUN University Park Apartments along Zelzah Avenue. According to Jennifer Sanchez, a sophomore at Valley New High, the name was chosen because after the first class’ freshmen year, the students were required to choose an academy to focus on for the rest of their high school career. The three academies the students can choose from coincide with three of CSUN’s major colleges. Veronica Herrera, an assistant to the school’s principal, said the name change was supposed to take place last year. The LAUSD school board, however, has yet to make a decision on the name change. “We’re hoping for this year,” Herrera said.

CSUN Leadership Institute releases its Fall 2005 schedule

The CSUN Leadership Institute will begin Sept. 26, and will offer a series of workshops where students can learn how to get motivated, utilize leadership qualities and develop clearer communication skills. The workshops are free to anyone who wishes to attend. Each workshop focuses on a different topic, so students will be free to choose which one they like best. Several speakers, ranging from celebrities like Goldie Hawn to CSUN faculty members, will lead the workshops. The Leadership Institute also provides a certificate of completion to those students who complete the necessary requirements. A copy of the Leadership Institute’s brochure can be picked up in the Matador Involvement Center in the University Student Union.

‘Welcome All Matadors’ hosts final events of first two weeks

The final events of the “Welcome All Matadors” campaign are approaching. A student clubs and organizations fair organized by the Matador Involvement Center will be held today and Thursday in front of the Student Services Building from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The second half of a Kick Off Social will also be held today in the Career Center in University Hall. A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new B3 parking structure will take place on Thursday, Sept. 8 at 11 a.m., led by members of Associated Students. The two-part Welcome Celebration event will also take place on campus Thursday, beginning at 11:30 a.m. and again at 5:30 p.m.

New CSUN program to help L.A. school administrators

CSUN’s College of Education and College of Business and Economics are teaming up with the Los Angeles Unified School District and the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce to create “Project Change: A Partnership to Prepare Tomorrow’s Leaders.” The project was created to produce educational leaders, develop current and future administrators, support secondary administrators in school reform and increase the administrator retention rate. It is funded by a three-year, $700,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Education.

Corrections and Clarifications

The Sundial Update incorrectly cited the location of the new 28,000 square-foot Parking and Public Safety Building as being at the intersection of Darby Avenue and Plummer Street. The new facility will be located at Darby Avenue and Prairie Street. Ground breaking is scheduled for Sept. 19.