Weekly Staff Editorial

The question of whether exit exams should be put into universities such as CSUN, much like in high schools, is under a lot scrutiny, for good reason.

Since CSUN already has a questionable exit exam that only tests our writing skills, what kind of test would replace the already dumb-downed exam?

Students in universities have majors and therefore don’t have a proficient understanding of all the subjects from the many fields of study offered at CSUN, so how would the exam be structured?

Would the exam be set up to be so broad and general that it loses its validity, or will it be so complex that students will need to invest in programs (such as Kaplan) to prepare themselves for the exam?

Many students argue that we already take enough exams in school, it should be enough to a university that we had passed every class required to get a degree. We get tested on a daily basis in some cases, how much more do we need to prove ourselves?

Exit exams in high schools have a little bit more purpose, since high school students don’t pay for their education, more or less. The exit exam in high schools assures that the students who graduate truly deserve their degree.

However, students at universities pay for their education. Most students take out loans for school that keep them in debt decades after they graduate. So, shouldn’t it be up to the individual who pays for classes to perform well in school, not some bureaucratic official?

Harry Hellenbrand argues that giving exit exams is a way for the university to make sure it is doing a good job. He refers to students as customers and the education CSUN offers as a service. The exit exam will assure that CSUN is doing a good job.

So instead of placing responsibility on the teachers and higher-ups, Hellenbrand believes that testing students, using up students’ valuable time and money, is more appropriate. Sorry, that isn’t good business.

If anyone should be tested, it should be the professors.

Evidently federal government officials are trying to figure out a way to better assess students in universities to be prepared for the job market in the 21st century. Making sure students pass an exit exam it would be a way for universities to assess themselves. But in the end, who is the victim? Students completing the required courses needed to graduate will surely pass the exam, and students who don’t pass their required courses will not pass So what’s the exam proving?