Men’s soccer: Second half surge pushes CSUN past Santa Clara

CSUN continued their strong play after winning their second straight game, beating Santa Clara 2-0. Photo credit: File Photo/The Sundial

Coming off an impressive game on Friday, CSUN (3-3-1) carried over that momentum as they beat the University of Santa Clara Broncos (3-5) 2-0 on Sunday afternoon at Stevens Stadium.

The Matadors have now won two consecutive games for the first time this season and have brought themselves back to a .500 record.

CSUN was able to come out victorious behind two second-half penalty kicks by senior defender Trevor Morley and senior midfielder David Turcios.

But the first half saw the Matadors establish their defense.

The Matadors’ defense that was a big part of their success as they only allowed SCU two shots for the first half.

Although the first half was mostly defensive, the Matadors did have their opportunities to take a lead as in the 25th minute freshman midfielder Bradley Mulvey’s shot was wide.

CSUN would get another chance to take the lead four minutes later when senior midfielder Carlos Gonzales’ shot was blocked by SCU senior goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh.

However, SCU would get their first couple of opportunities to take the lead early in the game, in the 5th and 17th minute but CSUN senior goalkeeper Adam Hobbs saved both.

The Matadors would go on and tighten up their defense as SCU would not get another shot off for the half.

For the half, CSUN outshot the Broncos 3-2.

The second half saw both teams come out with a more aggressive offensive game plan as they both attacked more.

All three corner kicks for the Matadors came in the second half, while the Broncos had two and a total of three for the game.

The Matadors would only need 51 seconds to get their first shot attempt as CSUN sophomore forward Dean Wright’s shot was blocked by McIntosh.

The Broncos came out more aggressively too in the second half as they had six shot attempts, meanwhile the Matadors only took four.

But in the 65th minute, the Matadors would capitalize, as Morley would get the games first goal (and his second of the season) after SCU was called for a foul inside the box.

The Broncos were almost able to equalize the score when they were awarded a penalty kick in the 69th minute but weren’t able to find the back of the net as Hobbs got the save.

For the game both goalies would have four saves.

Less than a minute after SCU’s chance to equalize the game, the Matadors would go on to score the final goal.

Turcios would get his first goal of the season when the Matadors were awarded with another penalty kick.

CSUN will look to extend their winning streak and stay perfect on their current road trip when they play against the University of San Diego Toreros Friday at 7:30 p.m.