Matador Nights brings relief to end of semester pressure

A caricature artist draws cartoon style portraits of CSUN students at Matador Nights. Photo credit: Patricia Perdomo

Students danced to the latest hip hop and techno songs, lost themselves in a maze and strolled around the French Quarter at the Mardis Gras themed Matador Nights on Friday.

“We want it to be a fun and safe night to remember,” said Randy Sorensen, University Student Union Events Supervisor. The event, produced by the University Student Union, took place in the USU, in and outside the Northridge Center.

Outside, the event featured carnival rides, from a lit up ferris wheel and a giant slide, to an inflatable maze. Stations offered students samples of veggie or original jambalaya and punch, as well as a donut stand that made mini donuts fresh in front of students.

There was a photo booth with masks, beads and other Mardi Gras decorations for students to dress up and capture their favorite poses. Music was provided by DJ Rihannon and DJ Ralphey Ralph.

Inside, the Northridge Room was decorated to feel like the French Quarter from New Orleans with stringed lanterns and lights, old-fashioned chairs and a live jazz band. On the way in, students grabbed Mardis Gras themed masks and glow sticks to wear. Students gambled with chips provided for them at casino tables and waited in anticipation to see one of the three palm readers. There was also a table for glitter tattoos and a charicature artist drawing cartoon style portraits.

“It’s something fun to do,” theatre major Laura Monterrosa said.

She said it was her first time attending Matador Nights and she enjoyed the lighthearted, Mardis Gras atmosphere.

“When you’re always studying, it’s nice to have something to do to relieve the pressure,” Monterrosa said.

Leanoardo Sanchez, undecided on his major, said this was his second time attending Matador Nights and enjoys it because it’s a fun way to socialize with people around the same age.

“It definitely brings the community together,” Sanchez said.

Sorensen said the purpose of the event was to give students a night at CSUN where they could have fun and not think about work for a change.

“Mardi Gras is so well known around the world as a celebration where people get together to have a good time. We really wanted to bring that vibe to CSUN for students to enjoy,” he said.

Correction: The original posting of this story incorrectly stated Matador Nighrs was organized by AS. Matador Nights was organized by the USU.