Students relieve stress at Pumpkin Fest

Jon Neill spent roughly 3 hours carving a giant pumpkin, and transforming it into a monster. Photo credit: Ariane Azar

Associated Students set up a pumpkin patch for CSUN students and faculty on Tuesday and the event ran from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. next to the farmers market.

“This is Pumpkin Fest,” said A.S. senator Dylan Haurlee. “Basically this is an idea to get people to kind of think about other things than school.”

Many students came out to the event to relieve stress from midterms.

“I haven’t decorated at all for Halloween,” said student Melissa Estreda. “I’ve been too stressed with midterms so this is a really fun way to let that stress out.”

Other students, however, came out for the free stuff. A.S. brought out around 400 pumpkins, hot cocoa, cider, coffee, Rockstar energy drinks, cookies, and candy all available free to the students and faculty on campus.

“I actually didn’t know there was a pumpkin patch going on,” said Rubie Magaloanes, another student. “I just came for the farmers market and we saw that there were all these pumpkins and that we could have one for free.”

Within the first hour, all the pumpkins had been picked from the patch. Students were then given the opportunity to either take them home to carve or paint them on campus.

As students painted their pumpkins, a D.J. played Halloween themed music, and professional pumpkin carver Jon Neill turned a pumpkin into a monster.