Africana Studies Week Aims To Spread Awareness

A student volunteers to help cut the ribbon at the 45th anniversary of the Department of Africana Studies. File photo/The Sundial

Halloween day commences on the first day of the 47th annual Africana Studies Week, which stresses the awareness of African culture to students of all ethnicities.

Last year they were focusing more on Sankofa and this year we are focusing more on students and bringing awareness of Africana Studies in general,” said Olivia Njuki, President of Africana Students Organization.

This year, Africana Studies week emphasizes the importance of student involvement.

“I feel that it is important as an African to bring that awareness back to CSUN because Africans are more than just dancers and having good food. We excel in education, we do so many great things,” said Njuki.

Njuki hopes this week not only educates about Africana Studies but motivates students to become interested in school related events.

“I just hope students become more aware of the things that are going on on campus and they become more involved,” said Njuki. “So I hope that it comes back to the point where people are like, I want more knowledge of what’s going on.”

The Black Lives Matter movement will also be a topic of discussion during the Pan Africanism debate on Thursday.

“It’s still relevant today, I mean we are still being killed in the streets every single day,” said Njuki.

The week’s activities will consist of the open house on Monday, and a keynote lecture and debate later on in the week. On Friday, there will be a Mini Fashion show that will feature African designs and hairstyles.

Monday 10/31

AFRS Week kicks off with the Africana Studies open house.

2:00-4:00 p.m. on the Bookstore Lawn

Wednesday 11/2

47th Anniversary keynote lecture

Dr. Anthony Samad

“REALEYEZing What Really Matters: Conflict and Politics as Culture Reality”

1:15-2:15 p.m. in the Whitsett Room (SH 451)

Thursday 11/3

The Relevance of 21st Century Pan Africanism debate

Dr. David L. Horne

12:00-2:00 p.m. in the Flintridge Room

Friday 11/4

African Mini Fashion Show

Free

4:00-8:45 p.m. in the West Valley Room