Extended hours to watch Monday Night Football at CSUN’s Pub Sports Grill

This season the National Football League (NFL) is packed with excitement. Whether CSUN students are looking forward to Brett Favre’s return from retirement or trying to catch the first time Michael Vick plays since he was sent to prison for participating in dog fighting, a place to watch the excitement unfold is inside CSUN’s very own Pub Sports Grill.

Every Monday starting Sept. 14, the Pub will extend their usual business hours and offer up its space to watch Monday Night Football. The Pub normally closes at 7 p.m. Monday nights, but during football season it will remain open until approximately 9 p.m. when the football games end.

This is the second consecutive year the Pub will host Monday Night Football.

“We used to have people try to get in the doors after we had already closed just to be able to watch the game,” said Commercial Services Manager Jeremy Hamlett. “That’s when we decided it would be a good idea to show the games here.”

Hamlett said they regularly had anywhere from 50 to 100 people watching Monday Night Football at the Pub – many of these were CSUN athletes.

The Pub is equipped with a projection screen among other television sets and a surround sound system. New technology was installed during the renovation of the Pub several years ago.

However, the entertainment doesn’t end at halftime. The event has been expanded and will include new features. During halftime there will be a raffle for hats, shirts and pennants.

But there’s more.

“What’s new this year is the XBox at halftime. We’re going to set that up and play Madden 2010,” says Hamlet.

Another new addition are the money-saving coupons.

“We have 100 $2 coupons that are given on a first come first serve basis. Those are given at the beginning of the game,” Hamlett said.

These coupons are good towards the special limited menu at the Pub that includes nachos, burgers, caesar salad wraps and chicken strips. Be mindful that the kitchen and bar close after 8p.m.

“You’re going to find food that you would normally find at a football barbeque or party,” Pub manager Greg Riviera said.

Hamlet foresees some nights having a larger group of spectators due to the popularity of the team. Besides the scandals the NFL faced since last season, there are a group of teams that attract very loyal fans.

“A lot of people will probably come to the first Chargers game against the Raiders because they are local teams,” Hamlett said. 

For spectators who are seeking to follow the long time rivalry between Terrell Owens from the Buffalo Bills and Shawn Springs of the New England Patriots, the game will also be on multiple screens.

Just like the NFL will likely have an increase in ratings, Hamlett anticipates there will be a larger audience due to this and the new added extras in the Pub.

Football fans and non-football fans alike, Monday Night Football at the Pub will start at 4p.m. this Monday and 5p.m. every Monday thereafter.