Israel has no partner for peace

Israel has no partner for peace because the Palestinian leadership hasn’t prepared their people for peace.  Palestinian society has limited access to ideas and information outside of their society, as they are a totalitarian government that limits free speech and expression.  The vast majority of Palestinians cling to the demand of the full return of Palestinian refugees to Israel proper, as well as believing that the fight against Israel is not only to end the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, but also to destroy the entire state of Israel, or support a “one-state solution.”

Most people who understand the history of the conflict between these countries will appreciate why Jewish people and Israelis in particular do not rush to embrace solutions that others wish to impose on them. What the final solution sought to impose on the Jews of Europe during World War II, the “one-state solution” advocated will namely be the destruction of Israel as an independent Jewish state.

Here one must look to the past behavior of those proposing the “solution” to discern where the idea, if implemented, is headed. A good place to start would be to become aware of the hate-filled curriculum Palestinian children are indoctrinated with from their earliest age regarding the Israeli state. In 1993, the Oslo Agreements were introduced in Israeli schools.  To promote understanding of the nation’s efforts to achieve peace, the government introduced peace education. Hearts, flowers and doves decorated books about getting along with Arab neighbors. On the Palestinian end, ninth graders study from official textbooks that assert, “Treachery and disloyalty are character traits of the Jews and therefore one should beware of them.” Jews are cast as satanic, violent and cunning, as “thieving conquerors” who have stolen Arab land and must be fought and defeated. How can Israel promote peace when death and violence are being taught to children in Palestinian schools?

At its heart, the principle of a pro-Western, independent, successful, vibrant, democratic, non-Islamic country in the region is what has motivated all the attempts to destroy Israel as a Jewish state. The recent notion (only since 1967) of their being an independent “Palestinian state” is one of its offshoots. The Arab countries surrounding Israel (Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Transjordan and Iraq—650,000 Jews against 40 million Arabs) attacked her on her birth as a modern state in 1948 seeking her destruction. Their actions created a refugee crisis, which they exacerbated by their refusal to accommodate their displaced fellow Arabs.  Instead, they allowed them to fester in refugee camps on the West Bank and Gaza. It is for these individuals that the fictionalized term “Palestinian people” now applies and for which a “Palestinian state” is being sought.

At the end of the day, a one-state solution is calling for the annihilation of Israel.  Due to terrorism and incitement, a two-state solution is the only tenuous possibility for peace.  Israel longs for peace, but as long as Hamas and Fatah rule as feuding nations, hatred is being taught to children in schools and rockets continue to be launched into Israel, national security will continue to remain at the heart of Israel’s decision-making.