Title IX website changes

Screenshot of the Office of Equity and Compliance website.

Title IX website changes

CSUN is seeking to enhance its Office of Equity and Compliance website to improve student awareness regarding campus safety, as well as protections against sexual misconduct outlined by Title IX.

Title IX, a part of the Education Amendments of 1972, ensures that members of a campus community are safe and free of sexual misconduct of any form. Title IX also prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex for all education programs operated in and out of campus.

The AVP for Equity and Compliance is working towards enhancing its user-friendly equity compliance website. It will provide users with resources and information on Title IX, and will keep students up to date with what CSUN is doing to keep its campus safe.

CSUN’s last website was underdeveloped and outdated. According to CSUN’s Title IX assessment, it was known the website had contacts that didn’t exist, causing the aforementioned drastic changes to happen. The assessment also stated students were not engaging much and did not have any knowledge of the terms used. Many had issues with the language and were confused by what it meant.

Other universities in the CSU system are improving their main links, like the “about us,” “report a concern,” and the FAQ pages to focus the page and prioritize the needs of those assessing the website.

Title IX has been a point of discussion in previous Associated Students meetings. It has been expressed at the meetings that the website will be more accessible and user-friendly to students.

The enhancements made to the Title IX website signify a significant step towards ensuring students have access to vital resources and support.