Live Updates: Game 2 of Matadors vs. Gauchos Men’s baseball

This is David Denenberg reporting live from Matador Field

3:42

With Brian Slover on the mound the Matadors have closed this game out with a double play to make the final score 9-4.  Both teams now have a 1-1 record in Big West Conference play and will meet tomorrow in the final game of the series at 1 p.m.  Live coverage will be available here on the Matador score.

3:35

The Matadors are now up 9-4 as designated hitter Todd Eskelin blasted a three run homer to give his team a five run lead going into the ninth inning here.

3:32

CSUN has taken the lead 6-4 after a two RBI single from Pineda.  D’Anna is now up with runners on first and second and one out.

3:31

The Matadors have loaded the bases as Parham was hit by a pitch.  Now at the bag for the Matadors is Ryan Pineda the team’s leading home run hitter.

3:28

Matadors left fielder Richard Cates is up to bat with runners on the corners and no outs.  Waiting on deck is John Parham as the matadors are looking to take the lead here.

3:25

The Matadors have tied the game at 4-4 as Belanger blasted a base hit RBI scoring DeMarco here in the bottom of the eighth inning.

3:23

CSUN second baseman Justin Demarco has led off the bottom of the eighth inning with a double.  C.J. Belanger is now up with no outs and a runner in scoring position.

3:19

CSUN starting pitcher Ryan Juarez got through the eighth inning netting his fourth strikeout of the afternoon.  Since giving up four runs in the second Juarez has calmed down and been dominant on the mound.

3:12

With two runners on Jason Dabbs went down swinging to end the seventh inning and keep this game at 4-3 in favor of the visiting Gauchos.

3:08

Designted hitter Todd Eskelin reached first base after being hit by a pitch allowing Pineda to reach second base safely with two outs here in the bottom of the seventh inning.

3:04

John Parham flew out to right field to begin the bottom of the seventh and now Pineda is up to bat with no runners on and one out.

2:59

The Matadors almost turned a double play but the throw from TS Reed at second was a little late.  The Gauchos went down on the next batter to end the inning and bring this game to the seventh inning stretch with the Gauchos leading 4-3.

2:52

TS Reed drew a walk to score a run and make the game 4-3 in favor of the Gauchos.  Richard Cates had his opportunity to keep things rolling but grounded out to end the sixth inning.

2:46

CSUN has loaded the bases here in the bottom of the sixth with no outs.  DeMarco got a hit and the Gauchos got the force at home plate.  The bases are still loaded with only one out and Chris Hannick is coming in the game pinch hitting for Pruitt.

2:39

The Matadors have escaped the inning after an athletic catch by Jeff Pruitt near the center field fence to keep the Gauchos scoring threat at bay.   The matadors are now up in  the bottom of the sixth inning.

2:37

The gauchos are threatening to score here in the top of the sixth with runners on second and third base and only one out.

2:32

The fielding errors are back as Dominic D’Anna attempted to get a double play but overthrew shortstop TS Reed at second base allowing both Gauchos to be on safely.

2:28

After Pineda flew out to right field the game is in the top of the sixth inning and Gauchos designated hitter Shane Carlson is up to bat.

2:24

The Matadors are back to square one as Reed flew out to center field and Pruitt was tagged out at first.

2:22

Centerfielder Jeff Pruitt is on base after a single to center field.  Pruitt leads the Matadors with 13 steals.

2:18

John Parham threw out Gauchos centerfielder Brian Gump at second as the Matadors once again allowed no runs as Jeff Pruitt is now at bat for the matadors here in the bottom of fifth inning.

2:09

The Matadors are back in action after a base hit RBI from Dabbs.   The score is now 4-2 here at Matador Field as we enter the fifth inning.

2:07

D’Anna grounded out putting Pineda on second and after a Todd Eskelin bunt Pineda is on third base with two outs.  Jason Dabbs is currently at bat.

2:05

Pineda is on base after a single to left field, now D’Anna is up with a runner on and no outs

2:03

The pitching is showing some signs of life for both teams as the Gauchos have gone down in order again.   Due up for the Matadors in the bottom of the fourth is slugger Ryan Pineda.

2:00

The third inning has begun and the Gauchos are still up 4-1 as their right fielder John DeAlba is at the plate.

1:54

In the top of the third the Gauchos went down in order as TS Reed is now up for the Matadors in the bottom of the third.

1:49

The Matadors couldn’t get anything done as Jeff Pruitt grounded out to end the second inning.

1:46

Jason Dabbs has just reached first base on a walk which brings up Justin DeMarco for the matadors with one out here in the bottom of the second.

.

1:40

The Matadors have just completed a double play to go into the home half of the second inning down 4-1.

1:34

Now a ground-rule double by Gunnar Terhune of the Gauchos has given his team a 3-1 lead over the matadors here in the top of the second.

1:32

After a John Parham double in the bottom of the first inning, Ryan Pineda drove him home to give the Matadors a 1-0 lead.  However, UCSB has the bases loaded right now with no outs and have already scored a run on a wild pitch to make this game 1-1.