Classic comfort food for the soul

.As I opened the doors to the Golden Bird, the aroma of fresh baked biscuits quickly caught my attention. When I walked into the restaurant I noticed a big yellow sign on the front window that read “10 Piece Chicken: Legs, Thighs, and Wings, $7.99.” Then, once I was inside and looked at the menu I noticed that fried chicken was definitely the item to choose.

The place wasn’t full, but it wasn’t empty either considering it was Tuesday around 1 o’clock. All the customers were eating lunch solo and some people were waiting for their orders to go. The restaurant is small and there are only about 10 tables in the room.

The combo meals come with a drink, biscuit, side order and sliced pickles on the side. The options for combo meals range from a two-piece meal, a side order and a biscuit to a chicken sandwich with fries. You can also select the large fries and large drink with the combo meal for an extra 99 cents. The prices for the combo meals are decent, the most affordable is about $4 and it goes up to $13.99, depending on what you choose.

The restaurant also offers “Meal Deals” which consist of options like four-piece or eight-piece meals with side dishes and biscuits.

Side dishes include fries, potato salad, macaroni salad, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, red beans and rice, greens and mashed potatoes. Their biscuits didn’t seem like typical biscuits to me. They tasted like corn bread. The tops of the biscuits were crunchy, yet the inside was soft, chewy and very satisfying.

They also offer salads, garden salads and chicken salads.

My friend and I decided to get a two-piece combo meal. I ordered fries as my side and my friend decided on the potato salad. The fries are good. They looked and tasted seasoned, with black pepper perhaps. It gave them a nice twist in flavor. My friend enjoyed the potato salad, he said it tasted fresh and was not too heavy.

The chicken was also good. I’m not big on fried chicken and I don’t eat it very often. In fact, I can’t remember when the last time I had eaten fried chicken was before trying this place.

However, I was pleased with Golden Bird. The chicken was very crispy, yet it didn’t seem to be coated with too much flower, which I think was a plus since fried chicken is not exactly a heart-healthy choice. I will admit it was greasy, but again, that is expected from fried chicken, right?

This place has a wide selection of drinks, too. Aside from the typical Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite, I found it interesting they offered drinks from other countries as well. Among these drinks I noticed a cream soda called Reggae Style from Jamaica, fruit punch also of the same brand and a Salvadorian soda called Kolashampan.

They also carry a wide variety of desserts. In the refrigerated section where the drinks were, I noticed small cakes like red velvet, German chocolate and lemon cake. In their non-refrigerated section, on a plastic case on top of the counter I saw all kinds of pies, pecan pie, walnut, lemon cheesecake, lemon coconut pie and pumpkin pie. I’m a big fan of pumpkin pie so that’s what I chose. It had a nice homemade taste that I really liked.

Overall, this place was good. I enjoyed my lunch and especially enjoyed seeing the wide variety of drinks and desserts they had. The desserts alone are worth checking this place out. Clearly, a fried chicken joint isn’t the healthiest option, but if you’re looking to indulge in warm, seasoned fries, crispy chicken and rich desserts, Golden Bird may just be the place to go to!