Buying eco-friendly furniture

Environment Furniture is making one person’s scrap wood into another person’s chic furnishings. This L.A. based company has a mission to create furniture in a completely green process. They have showrooms in Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, Orange County, and Dublin and design everything from beds to bookcases.

Most of the wood they use is the Brazilian Peroba Rosa because they can usually obtain it from decrepit or abandoned buildings instead of cutting down trees. They usually combine this wood with traditional mahogany and oak to build the pieces. Being a member of the Tropical Forest Trust ensures that these traditional woods are being responsibly obtained. It’s a non-profit organization that works globally to promote eco-friendly forestry.

So it’s no secret that this company is a model for green enterprise. But when it comes down to the bottom line – would you buy it? We can all applaud them for their efforts but a store is a store and needs customers. I’m wondering how many L.A. residents are buying these collections. Also, are these customers buying because they’re supporting green business or because they simply love the style of wood pieces? So what do you think? Are you willing to leave your Ikea shopping days in the past and shell out a few more dollars on this eco-friendly furniture?