Fashion brings green to a whole other level

If you know me, you know I love clothes. If you don’t, well now you do- and all I have to say is that green is all over fashion lately.

First off, fashion is all about the epiphany. It really is about having those moments where everything is just right and you feel on top of the world- when all eyes are on you and that moment is nothing short of perfect.

Well, these past few weeks, green lovers got that moment.

>>Catwalk: London’s Fashion week gets sustainable catwalk

Recently it was London Fashion Week and it featured London’s very first sustainable catwalk. They had fashion from Vivienne Westwood, Stella McCartney, Henrietta Ludgate, From Somewhere and many other designers- like Tree People.

Usually ethical design (as sustainable fashion is called) has its own runway and a separate catwalk, but this was the first time ever where the earth friendly garments shared the week and the runway to the fashions of the spring and summer 2011 season.

The show practiced ethical means to every detail, from the clothing all the way to the production lighting and staging.

>>JEANS: Ban on sand blasting

Secondly, H&M and Levi’s have your legs and your butt covered when it comes to ethical practices.

We all love the distressed look to our jeans. Well not all of us- not the people who make them distressed for us.

They actually hate distressed jeans; just ask those 43 workers in Turkey who died from distressing jeans in the past couple of years.

Doesn’t it sound insane? Last week it was death by product and this week it is death by distressing.

Recently, the brands H&M  and Levi’s have chosen to lead other clothing manufacturers in their decision to ban sandblasting their denim, to address the growing health problem.

Sand Blasting is a technique used to give pants their distressed and worn in look. It doesn’t use sand, ironically, but it uses sodium bicarbonate (a seriously harmful chemical if ingested or around it large amounts regularly) and kieserite chemicals.

After the heavy investigation of the 43 deaths in Turkey, the practice of sand blasting was banned in the country, but the distressing process is still practiced around the world today.

Both companies say that by the end of the year, there should be no active purchasing of sand blasted garments.

So have your moment and think about it before you drop some serious money on your pants.  How much are you paying to put someone down- all for the sake of a trend?

Plus, if you really wanted that worn in look, why don’t you just buy some jeans that already have been worn for years at a thrift store?

Companies, designers and brands are going green, why not you?