Moving on Up

Student-parents at CSUN,

This will be my last post on the student-parent college blog.  As I graduate and move on to my life’s next endeavors, I look back on the past five years I’ve spent in college and have to say, it’s bittersweet.  Although I will carry the burden of finding a job in this tough economy, I won’t miss the hectic schedules and deadlines required of the college student-parent life.  My kids are just as excited, if not more, that this part of my life will now be complete.  They’ve often asked why I didn’t go to college right after high school and the only answer I have is “that’s why you don’t want to make the same mistake.”

Because I’ve chosen to take this step in my life, and they’ve watched me go through it, they are well aware of how important receiving a college degree is.  When they see how I’ve grown as a person, not just because of all the new things I’ve learned but because of the changes I’ve made through this process, they share how proud they are.  My confidence and courage has reached boundaries I never thought I could achieve.  I’ve never felt more ready to take on the challenge of a new career.  My family has been very supportive throughout my journey, and it’s been almost as stressful on them as it has been on me.   They also do not hesitate to inform me of how they can’t wait until I graduate.  I’m so happy to tell them that the day is just around the corner.

If you’re a student-parent in the midst of reaching the same goal.  Don’t give up, time goes by fast, and soon you’ll be looking back as I am now, feeling the gift of accomplishment.  Most important, it’s a the best gift you’ll ever give yourself, and your children.

Happy Holidays!!!!!  Have a great New Year!!!!