President’s Picnic welcomes back all Matadors

The annual President’s Picnic welcomed back thousands of students to CSUN with free food and live music Thursday, on the lawn near Bayramian Hall.

“It’s a way for her (President Koester) to show her solidarity with students,” said A.S. President Amanda Flavin. “It’s a really successful event every year.”

President Koester was on hand, giving away free CSUN t-shirts to students who were picked by freshman orientation leaders to perform the “Matador call.”

“Some random guy just came up and chose me,” freshman anthropology major Milton Lazano said. “(This year) is starting off pretty awesome. I’m getting free stuff.”

The President’s Picnic is a yearly event where different university entities come together to welcome back all students. Faculty and staff served students free hot dogs, chips and beverages at the collaborative event, said Christopher Aston, assistant director of student development and new student programming.

“The turnout’s great,” head baseball coach Matt Curtis said. “We’ve been out here since 11:30 and it’s been a steady flow (of students).”

Approximately five to six thousand students were expected to attend the event, Aston said.

“Everyone’s been so welcoming,” said freshman biology major Jennifer Garcia. “You get a real sense of the campus.”

The President’s Picnic will start again on the Bayramian Hall lawn at 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.