Alumni Relations Center moves to increase visibility on campus

CSUN’s Alumni Relations center has relocated from University Hall to a more centralized location next to he bank building, northwest of Jacarada Hall.

The center manages opportunities to get alumni connected with the campus, said Shellie Hadvina, associate director of alumni relations.

“Moving is the first step in that direction,” Hadvina said. “Students had never heard of the alumni relations center before.”

There are currently 22 alumni chapters in different departments at CSUN. Three new chapters were added this year, including the Iranian Alumni Association, the Black Alumni Association and the Master’s of Social Work Alumni Association.

According to Hadvina, the center recently started a new program called the “N Crowd,” which connects current students with CSUN graduates who have active careers in their desired fields.

The center provides programming, such as alumni-student mentoring, career related programs and programs to further education, and they conduct events for awards ceremonies.

The Volunteer Service Award is presented to alumni who “have given their time, energy and resources to enhance and support the University,” according to the alumni relations website. A few hundred students have been presented this award since it was established in 2002, Hadvina said.

The Alumni Association has presented the Distinguished Alumni Award to about 40 different honors alumnus who are at the pinnacle of success in their careers. Some of those recipients include Grammy award winning songwriter, Diane Warren, opera singer Carol Vaness, and U.S. District Court Judge James Otero.

“You are a Matador for life,” Hadvina said. “We want to support graduates not only while they are students, but after they graduate. Once a matador, always a matador.”