USU hosts Mystical Masquerade event

On Friday, the USU Northridge Center will be a menagerie of intrigue, mystery and dual-identities.

The USU is hosting its first Mystical Masquerade, in which students will come dressed in elegant attire, and Mardi Gras masks for an evening of interactive guessing games, dinner and a majestic showcase.

“We are really excited about this one,” said Iris Pupo, USU events assistant who organized the masquerade. “Our theme is the mystery behind the masks, which will all be explained at the event in a series of fun competitions and interactions with the performers.”

Headlining the event will be illusionist Joseph Tran, who has been called one of “the finest young magicians in the country” by the Los Angeles Times. Tran is a frequent performer at the Magic Castle in downtown Los Angeles, and has received rave reviews from the venue’s Yelp followers.

“The first time I saw Joseph Tran, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor,” wrote Yelp reviewer Matthew B.  “He is hands down one of the best magicians I have ever seen.”

Pupo is also a fan of the magician. “I can’t wait to see Tran perform,” Pupo said. “He does incredible things and I think students are really going to enjoy it.”

The masquerade will also include games, an appearance by the “world’s fastest pick-pocket,” a performance by CSUN’s hip hop dance team and more.

The event is free for all CSUN students, but tickets need to be reserved through the USU ticket office. The event is first-come, first-served, which means once the center fills up, students will not gain entry.

Dinner is also free for attendees, and will be provided by Stonefire Grill.

“We hope the masquerade will be a hit with students,” Pupo said. “It’ll be a lot of fun and we hope to start a new tradition and make it annual semester event.”