Summer fashion trends hit CSUN

While the Spring 2012 semester here at CSUN comes to an end, Northridge brings the summer heat as the fashion season kicks off with bold, bright colors.

Classic black-and-white prints are a staple item for any time of year, but try pairing your favorite black skinny jeans with a lace white top and a solid-colored bright scarf to update it for the season.

If you’re feeling daring, try adding on another complimenting color as an accessory, such as red flats or a hot pink belt.

Spring trends are all about mixing two or more colors with neutrals. Ladies, if you have not already seen the countless women wearing red jeans, now is the time to take notice. Red jeans are making a debut this spring and summer, with different rises and cuts to flatter all body shapes. From department stores to more affordable brands, such as H&M and Forever 21, red jeans are not hard to find. Summer is kicking it up a notch with even more colorful patterns. Store mannequins and shopping windows are filled with blues, yellows and even highlighter green pants.

Color blocking was big on the runway this spring season. Designers are revisiting previous color blocking techniques from the 60s, and adding a modern twist. Fear not fashion novices, color blocking is easy to master with these simple steps.

First, make sure to combine a minimum of two colors and a maximum of four when mixing and matching.

Next, the colors you choose must be each other’s complementary (opposites on the color wheel, i.e blue and yellow) or analogous (next to each other, i.e blue and green) on the color wheel.

Lastly, complete your look with neutrals. If you’re a beginner, I suggest starting off with basic shades of black, white, brown or beige, and then adding on colors through simple pieces like jewelry, accessories or handbags. If you feel like you’ve got the hang of it, pick up some pastel colored jeans or bright floral tops with patterned shorts or skirts and mix away.

Let’s face it; no summer look is complete without a pair of sunglasses. The 1970s are making a small comeback with Beatles inspired circular lenses. Summer sunglasses are all about the faded lenses in purples, blues and solid blacks which consistently remain a must have item.

As for shoes, the most stylish new shoes are actually unisex. Sperry’s, which are most commonly known as boating shoes, have recently blown up in stores this season. They come in several patterns and colors both for men and women, perfect for amusement park days or running errands around the town.

As far as menswear goes, graphic T-shirts are always a go-to item, and a guaranteed way to make a statement.

Summertime calls for a beachy and effortless look so try mixing your tees with bold patterned board shorts. Lighter shades of blue, green and red are perfect for lounging around at a barbecue or pool party. When it cools down, throw a plaid button down over the T-shirt for the chilly nights and switch the shorts to medium washed, straight-leg jeans. It’s a quick outfit change that takes less than five minutes.

Gentlemen, take note, colored jeans are not just popular in the women’s department but they are making their debut into menswear as well. If you’re ready to delve into summer trends, try on a pair of army green, red or even stonewashed grey jeans. Pair them with your favorite white V-neck, Sperrys, Ray Bans and voila, a casual chic look in less than five minutes. It’s easy to achieve since your colored jeans will speak for itself.

Summer and its freedom from classes is the perfect time to be more adventurous with fashion, so try something new this season no matter where the warm weather takes you!