Romney’s disdain will cost him the race

The tale of when a president sticks his foot in his mouth.
Illustration credit: Gabriel Ivan Orendain-Necochea/
Visual Editor

Mitt Romney wants to be president of the United States.

He wants it really bad.

He’s gone so far as to abandon almost everything he’s ever stood for in past elections. He’s repeatedly lied and obfuscated to get that chance. Whether it’s lies about President Obama’s healthcare plan resulting in cuts to medicare, or lies about the way he ran Massachusetts as its governor, the man has a serious problem with the truth.

Amazingly, his campaign has had missteps that would have sunk any other presidential run, but in due partially to the poor economy, he’s been able to maintain close polling and bounce back like a Weeble Wobble. It was assumed by pundits from both sides that Romney would have to perform a pivot to the center to appeal to more mainstream voters. Instead, he has doubled down on his divisive rhetoric and general ineptitude.

His recent, wholly unscripted comments that came to light through a leaked video from Mother Jones could finally bring his historically inept campaign crashing down. The footage was taken with a hidden camera at a private fundraiser in May. He was addressing a crowd of millionaires and as is often the case with Romney, he was pandering to their particular interests.

The significance of those comments cannot be downplayed. His behind-closed-door comments prove that Romney neither deserves nor has the character to be president of the United States of America.
Here is his response to someone who had asked how he would win the election:

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That, that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.”

This is how Romney responds when he is not being reported on by the media or anyone else he thinks deserves to hear the real Mitt Romney. His proclamation that 47 percent of Americans pay no income taxes is a misleading statement that fits his pattern of abusing the truth.

They may not pay income taxes, but they do pay into medicare and social security. They also pay various taxes on goods and services. They are most definitely not victims of entitlement. Their work is often the hard work of low-income wage earners. To cast them off as societal leeches is far too easy for Romney, and that is a frightening prospect.

I receive government assistance. It’s in the form of my current GI Bill/Vocational Rehabilitation through Veterans Affairs. Because of those benefits, I get to attend an outstanding university. I get to write for an award-winning publication. I achieve an education in a positive environment where professors, students, administrative workers, maintenance, groundskeepers, food service employees, police, and everything in between and around this campus make the completion of me possible. All of that wouldn’t be as easy without entitlement benefits.

Here’s where Romney is right. I am entitled to those benefits. I’m not ashamed that I use them, but in Romney’s mind, because of that, I’m not someone he cares to worry about.

“My job is not to worry about those people,” stated Romney. “I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

This is Mitt Romney. Petulant and pandering. This man wants to be president. Yet his goal to getting into that vaunted office is one in which he sees close to half of the population as a group he doesn’t need to care about.

His deceit and disdain for many Americans is the crowning achievement in the pile of excrement that is his campaign. Even worse is his attempt to feed us that stinking pile with the silver spoon he pulled out of his own privileged mouth.

He is not presidential in his words or actions and therefore he should not be a serious contender for that seat.

– Nathan is a veteran who likes to suckle on the government tit. Mmm, Mmm, Delicious! Free money!