Justin Timberlake’s comeback may succeed

Justin Timberlakes comeback may succeed
Courtesy of MCT

When Pop stars call it quits or go on a hiatus due to criminal charges, drug addictions, family obligations or other career concentrations, fans are always on the edge of their seats waiting for their comeback. At times, there are disappointing but hardcore fans who are eager and optimistic nevertheless.

Justin Timberlake is coming out with a new album March 19 called “20/20 Experience.” He has been performing new singles “Mirrors” and “Suit & Tie” in award shows like the recent 55th Grammy’s and the BRIT Awards in London. Timberlake has been working in movies, other collaborations, getting married, taking over MySpace, and even rushing over to the Hollywood Palladium to perform an exclusive concert after the Grammy’s for his fans, free of press.

After seven years since his last full-length album “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” will Timberlake infuse his R&B; and pop soulful artistry to please the masses? Or will he fall short of this so-called comeback and be mocked? Critics have been calling his recent performances, like the one at the Grammy’s, tedious. It has nothing to do with the songs being bad—the songs just lack the energy that he is capable of. As a performer, Timberlake is phenomenal with music and in film. From his Mouseketeer days to being the leader of one of the most popular boy bands, to portraying Sean Parker in “the Social Network,” Timberlake is a great performer. Sure, he steers in a direction of arrogance and cockiness at times, but it’s clear that he wants to make this musical reemergence. Hopefully it’s worth it for fans. Unlike his once pop-star sweetheart Britney Spears, whose awful lackluster performance at the 2007 Video Music Awards had fans wondering whether to boo her off stage or go and hug her. Then again, Spears managed to pull it together eventually and was successful with her 2011 album “Femme Fatale.” The album got her a MTV Video Music Award for Best Pop Video for “Till The World Ends.” Or most recently, Chris Brown’s comeback last year had fans wondering whether or not the controversial singer could make it happen. Luckily he was judged by his talent and not his worst decisions when it came to the industry. Therefore, if Timberlake is capable of convincing viewers of how shameless Sean Parker was, he is capable of making “20/20 Experience” one amazing mid-tempo musical experience.

When fans learned that Jay-Z was collaborating with Timberlake, alongside Timbaland, the eagerness for the release went up a tenfold. He will embark on a U.S. tour with Jay-Z this summer. Until then, fans will learn if he can still bring his sexy back or be completely out of tune.