A.S. holds Armenian Genocide Awareness week

Associated Students met briefly Friday to discuss several upcoming events and the Senate observed a moment of silence in honor of Armenian Genocide Remembrance month.

Senator Talar Alexanian thanked the Senate for their consideration.

“I had ancestors of my own who were massacred in the genocide,” Alexanian said. “Those  lives that were lost will get the recognition they deserve.”

A.S. has traditionally held a moment of silence since 2005, per a Senate resolution that requires it. The Armenian Student Association, who was also present, will be holding their Armenian Genocide Awareness week starting Monday with a Silent Protest Walk in front of the Oviatt.

Senators also discussed CSUN’s Earth Fair, which is being held on Thursday in Bayramian hall. In honor of A.S. Awareness Month, senators will be hosting a table at the fair.

The Senate also discussed a trip for students to see the midnight showing of Iron Man 3 at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood. The trip, which is on May 2, is available to all CSUN students, and costs $5. Students will be bussed to and from the theater and tickets are available at the A.S. office in the University Student Union.

Before adjourning, senators discussed the budget language for the A.S. budget next year. The terms and language of the budget proposal will be approved during the meeting next week.