Black Organization Mixer informs students of club, sorority and fraternity involvement opportunities

Students talked about different organizations, socialized and danced at the Black Collegian Mixer hosted by The National Association of Black Journalists at the Thousand Oaks room in the USU on Wednesday. Photo credit: David Hawkins / Daily Sundial

More than a dozen African-American formed organizations assembled in the USU Wednesday evening at the Black Student Organization Mixer to inform students about the clubs and programs offered to African-American students at CSUN.

The event, hosted by the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), provided pizza, refreshments and performances to entertained guests in the Thousand Oak room.

“I was told today about the event by a friend and wanted to come and learn about the organizations on campus,” says Lexis Lambert, sophomore business major. “I wish they would have done more advertising because there are a lot of people on campus that are interested in getting involved but don’t know where to get information.”

The two hour event attracted nearly 80 students. The crowded room was filled with energy and engaging conversations. All interested students were greeted by members of the various organizations and were informed of upcoming events. Participants carried five to six flyers from different organizations in their hands as they made their rounds.

Participating groups displayed colorful banners and pamphlets of information. Some of the organizations in attendance included Black Grads,  Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, CSUN’s Gospel Choir and the Sickle Cell Awareness Organization.

“Everybody (was) welcomed to come. All organizations cater to the Black community, but we don’t discriminate,” says the President of NABJ Janae Franklin. “The event allows all students to see the opportunities for involvement and leadership.”

Members of the Alpha Nu Kappa sorority expressed their wish to acquire more members to join their organization. The is open to women of every ethnicity such as African-American, Latino, Asian and more.

“We put academic’s first,” said Kalkidan Temesgen, member of Alpha Nu Kappa Sorority. “We want to invite the women of CSUN to learn about our group and what’s available to them.”

The event surprised its guests with a short performance from CSUN’s Gospel Choir. Acting as an intersession, CSUN’s first Christian dance team, Committed Feet, was one of the highest anticipated moments of the evening. The group received much praise from the crowd after performing to Tedashii’s three-minute song “Riot.”

“You don’t have to be Christian. We want anybody who knows how to live and live through movement,” said the Founder of Committed Feet, Diontay Odom. “Our part, as leaders, is to impart love and encouragement.”

Jordan Dees, 20, biology major (Left) and Joshua Briggs, 21, CTVA major (Right), reflect on their experience being a part of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. Photo credit: Cherney Amhara / Contributor

The closing of  the Black Student Organization Mixer presented by the National Association of Black Journalists showcased stroll dancing performed by various sororities and fraternities. The president of NABJ said she hopes to repeat this event next semester to bring support and awareness to the many Black Student Organizations on campus.