Street Swag: Costumes on the fly

Street Swag: Costumes on the fly
Stand out at a Halloween party with these “on the fly” costumes. Photo credit: Christina Moffitino / Daily Sundial

Cute or creepy: these are usually the typical college Halloween costumes. Some people find purchasing the costume in a bag the way to go. For you “Mean Girls” fans, it’s the excuse to wear lingerie, slap on some animal ears and be a mouse… duh!

Let’s be frank, as college students, we need to be frugal. Halloween is the only night or weekend for you to get in the holiday spirit. On average, one costume could cost anywhere from $50 to $200. Is it really worth spending that much for one occasion? Step outside the box this time around and take on the challenge to make a creative costume and save some money in the process. You can make a look that’s cheap, easy and even free!

Cheap: When Life Hands You Lemons

Materials: White T-shirt, bag of lemons, sharpie or iron-on letters

Taking on this quote would surely bring some chuckles to your fellow partygoers. It’s a great last minute costume idea and one that is witty enough to get away with the cheap materials. You can go as simple as just writing “life” on the front of your shirt with a sharpie or go the extra step to iron on the letters. Grab a basket or a plastic bag and fill it with lemons to pass out to all the Halloweeners.

Easy: Window Creeper

Materials: Cardboard Box, black clothing

If you’re into costume props, this is the perfect character for you. The best part? You won’t even have to buy anything! Everyone has black clothing in his or her wardrobe and a full head-to-toe look is perfect to be the creeper outside your window. A beanie and gloves would make for the perfect burglar outfit as well. To make this look work, take a big cardboard box and cut 4 squares to create a window. Boxes are free at most stores, you can even find them here on campus. You can choose to add fabric to the top to make curtains and really make it look like you’re looking into someone’s house!

Free: 50 Shades of Grey

Materials: Masking tape and lots of grey paint chips!

This is the perfect costume if you are not looking to spend any money since paint chips are free at hardware stores. Depending on how extravagant you want your look to be, you can find the amount you need at one store. If you’re looking to go all out, you may end up having to store hop to grab more. I used about 70 paint chips to create this “50 Shades of Grey” vest. Pair it with a grey long sleeve shirt and grey leggings and you’re the walking story, no S&M required.

If you simply have no time to physically go out and get something, online stores are great too. Online sites sell affordable costumes on eBay, Amazon and Etsy for as low as $10. You can browse online for one that suits you this year. Have fun with your look and don’t be afraid to look like a fool, that’s the spirit of Halloween!