Western-themed Matador Nights offers music, dancing, reaches capacity

A large crowd gathered in the University Student Union for “Matador NIghts” on Sept. 5, 2014. “Matador Nights” took on a weastern theme, featuring DJs, carnival rides, dancing and more. Photo credit: Trevor Stamp/ The Sundial

Correction: An earlier version of this article had Toyota as the sponsor of the event and the games taking place in the Plaza del Sol. The current article has been corrected to reflect the changes.

Students packed the University Student Union on Friday for Matador Nights. The free event was sold out at the venue’s maximum capacity of 5700.

This year’s Western theme was popular and many attendees were seen in Western clothing.

“I tried to go with the theme, to have more fun and take pictures, and they have really fun activities,” Jocelyn Ramirez, senior public health major, said.

DJ Sourmilk and DJ Justin Credible rocked students through the night, while they made their way through all of the attractions and activities.

Rides and activities included cattle roping, an inflatable maze, roller-raceway, casino, saloon, caricature artist drawings, a massive dance area and karaoke.

Lines dissipated quickly as students made their rounds through the games room in set up the Northridge Center.

Daniel Laverde, freshman, and friends said they enjoyed the inflatable maze and had a lot of fun at their first Matador Night.

Student volunteers also helped to serve free chili bowls and root beer floats throughout the night and the USU marketing team kept the night colorful with neon glow-sticks.

Toyota participated the event and offered raffles for school supplies and a chance to win a 2014 Toyota Corolla.

The event was open to all CSUN students.

The USU Board of Directors helped coordinate the event.

Jesus Martinez-Ramirez, chair of the USU Board of Directors, said the goal of Matador Nights is to create a connection between the university and the students and to provide an environment where students can have a good time but also build a sense of Matador spirit.

“We focus on all that goes on in the student union, programs and services, we own and operate the USU,” Ramirez said.