The Girls Who Code club met together in Sierra Hall, on Friday, Sept. 15, in Northridge, Calif. Club members played around with a program to create a virtual game.
The CSUN club that’s encouraging women in STEM
Miya Hantman, Reporter • September 18, 2023

CSUN’s Girls Who Code club is just one of many across many campuses and countries, including 110 in...

Students form a crowd for DJ Mal-Ski on Friday, Sept. 8, 2023 in Northridge, Calif.
Matador Nights carnival makes a splash at the USU
Ryan Romero, Sports Editor • September 21, 2023

The University Student Union hosted “Matador Nights” on Sept. 8 from 7 p.m. to midnight. The event...

Image courtesy of Adobe Stock by FiledIMAGE.
Women’s Soccer has Closed the Competitive Gap
Luis Silva, Reporter • September 19, 2023

There is no longer a significant competitive gap in the sport of women’s soccer. There is a brighter...

The line for concert merchandise on the second night of The Eras Tour in Paradise, Nev., on Saturday, March 25, 2023.
My experience at The Eras Tour
Miley Alfaro, Sports Reporter • September 18, 2023

It’s been a long time coming. I began watching The Eras Tour, Taylor Swift’s ongoing concert trek,...

Within the Oaxacan town of Asuncion Nochixtlan, we find my mother’s birthplace, Buena Vista. Photo taken July 29, 2023.
I Love Being Mexican
September 12, 2023
A student holds up a sign during a rally outside of the CSU Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach, Calif., on Sept. 12, 2023.
CSU board approves tuition increase amid protests
Trisha Anas, Editor in Chief • September 15, 2023

The California State Board of Trustees on Wednesday approved a 6% tuition increase for the next five...

group of mena and women touching hands
Miracles In Action Restores Patients’ Lives and Actualizes their Potential

Alumni Reconnect with Students and Faculty During Annual AIS Dinner

The Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) Alumni Chapter enjoy a night of networking, catching up and dinner Friday night, Jan. 23, 2015 at the Orange Grove Bistro. (Matthew Delgado / Staff Photographer)
AIS A.jpg
Attendees of the Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) Alumni Chapter enjoy a night of networking, catching up and dinner Friday night, Jan. 23, 2015 at the Orange Grove Bistro. (Matthew Delgado / Staff Photographer)

More than 50 alumni, students and faculty members gathered Friday for the Accounting and Information Systems Alumni chapter’s annual dinner in the Orange Grove Bistro dining room.

Alumni, students and professors clad in suits and collared shirts, began arriving at 6:30 p.m., most of them standing in the dining room – a sparsely decorated space dedicated to banquets and large dinner parties – chatting with each other, their voices becoming louder and more singular as more people arrived.

One woman, the youngest attendee at the dinner, sat alone at one point before the dinner.

“I’m working on a project that’s called Women and Business Connect,” Adilene Delgado, a graduating senior majoring in accounting said when asked about her reasons for attending the dinner. “What I’m planning on doing is bringing together (women) students and alumni to share their experiences.”

The president of the AIS Alumni chapter, Susan Barney said the purpose of the event was to reconnect alumni with the community.

Attendees began to eat and converse when Keji Chen, a professor of accounting at CSUN found his way to the table and spoke about the different bonding experiences he’s had from school to school.

“I spent a few years studying at the University of Alabama and three years in the University of Washington, having been to different institutions, the alumni, the relationship between alumni, the department and the current students, it’s one of the best,” Chen said about CSUN.

IMGP7821.jpg
Dr. Dat-Dao Nguyen, a current professor of Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) and David Burger, a former CSUN Student and AIS Alumni member, share stories about the ventures of an accounting major from the public to the private sector at the AIS Alumni Association dinner on Friday night, Jan. 23. 2015, at the Orange Grove Bistro. (Matthew Delgado / Staff Photographer)

Alumni were the least distinct group – some of them being old enough to be professors and some young enough to be graduate students. One such man was David Burger, a retired fraud examiner – CSUN class of 1983 – compared events like the dinner, where networking is a priority and an importance, to events that he attended before he began his career.

“I think it’s vital whenever the outside corporate or government world would come in and there’d be a speaking engagement,” Burger said. “It opened up to the students avenues for fields or careers they could go into.”

Barney was asked how she thought the night went.

“I think this is one of our most successful events,” Barney said.