National Signing Day molding stars or money makers?

What’s the point of signing day if big named recruits don’t end up at the Super Bowl? Photo courtesy of Tribune News Services

Across the Nation, top-flight high school recruits selected where they would resume their amateurs careers on Wednesday.

In case you have missed ESPN’s coverage across its slew of networks, you might have missed notables such as Cordell Broadus, Snoop Dogg’s son, to Khalil McKenzie, Raider General Manager Reggie McKenzie’s son, making headlines committing to UCLA and Tennessee respectively.

Either way, this day means nothing. Look at how much impact Justin Combs, Diddy’s son, made with the UCLA Bruins last season as he only recorded one tackle.

Look at how many five star recruits played in the Superbowl. Zero started for the Patriots or the Seahawks. Well, five star recruits only make up one percent of Division I football, with most of the players were three and two stars, including Seattle’s starting quarterback Russell Wilson.

In fact, this whole day and process adds to the money spectacle that is college football. National signing day is just another day for collegian programs to boast about their recruiting efforts to boosters. Keeping track of how many four and five star recruits teams nabbed look nice on paper for fund raising and ticket sale purposes rather than actually helping football product.

Teams like the USC Trojans will boast about having the No. 1 ranked recruiting class, but there is no telling how that will translate onto the field.

Many of these athletes will spend their first seasons red-shirting or buried on the depth chart. Moreover, how many of these committees will transfer at some point during their scholarship?

Not to mention, ESPN gets a cut when they can run and talk about the signing day event on its slew of networks. Hence, everyone gets a cut besides the people actually risking their bodies.

While a college experience and education are not a cheap commodity, especially when given to minorities who wouldn’t otherwise have access, it perils to the millions of dollars football programs and television networks make on apparel, advertising, and ticket sales.

SPORTS FBN-SUPERBOWL 134 SIP
Cornerback Richard Sherman of The Seattle Seahawks recently expressed his opinions on National Signing Day. Is he correct? Photo courtesy of Tribune News Services

As Richard Sherman said last week, student athletes aren’t given scholarships to pursue their education, because they do not even have ample time to focus on their education quality. National signing day is just more evidence that collegiate sports are more about the money than the amateurism, education or even the game.

It is not like players can not commit before National Signing Day. However, if players stuck to their verbal commitments, there wouldn’t be any drama, ratings or anything to talk about for the sports world. Plus, making the selection on television gives them exposure and 15 seconds of fame.

Therefore, National Signing day is just another day for the NCAA and the programs it oversees to exploit its athletes’ likeness for revenue. The saddest part is, National Signing Day only seems to get bigger each year, especially in college football.