Visualizing Title IX’s impact

Dr. Bernice “Bunny” Sandler was an integral part of the creation and passage of Title IX legislation addressing discrimination against women in education and collegiate athletics. (J.M. Eddins, Jr./MCT)

Title IX turned 43 years old this past June. The federal initiative, which sought to incorporate equality within every facet of collegiate life, has indeed improved opportunity and diversification on college campuses nationwide.

Schools must prevent and respond to all forms of gender-based violence and discrimination. Even with so much progress within women’s athletics and academics, issues of LGBT rights and sexual assault have recently been thrust into the forefront for Title IX administrators. Schools cannot discriminate against trans or genderqueer students on the basis of gender identity.

Also, schools must provide equal opportunity to women in STEM (Science, Technology, Education, Mathematics) fields of study. These are a few examples of Title IX’s vast coverage, many protections unknown by the very students it protects.

Take a look at The Sundial’s chart laying out what Title IX can do for you on CSUN’s campus and how it has helped greatly within spreading equality and opportunity nationwide.

Untitled Infographic.jpeg
Title IX protections cover many areas of equal opportunity within college campuses, from education equality to LGBT rights. Infographic by Thomas Gallegos / Staff Photo credit: Thomas Gallegos