Women’s Tennis: CSUN sweeps UC Riverside in Big West Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

File Photo/The Sundial

File Photo/The Sundial

File Photo/The Sundial

File Photo/The Sundial

David Hurwitz

The Matadors continued their strong start by sweeping UC Riverside 7-0 Saturday at the 2015 Big West Conference opener. The CSUN women’s tennis team (2-0, 1-0 Big West) swept the UC Riverside Highlanders by winning all nine matches without losing a single set.

The Matadors showed their dominance on the tennis court as the top doubles team of sophomore Vivian Lin and freshman Kiryang Kim were losing 1-3 before coming back and winning 8-4. Senior Criss Rodriguez and junior Jessica Warren won 8-3 while sophomore Mickey Hsu and sophomore Kristen Poei won 8-1 in the second draw.

Moving on to the singles matches, Lin lost only four games in a single-set victory. Rodriguez also lost just four games in a straight-set decision in the third singles match. UCR’s Courtney Pattugalan defeated Hsu by a score of 7-5 in the first set but Hsu fought back in the second set and won 6-0.

The Matadors played like a confident team expecting to win their second match of the season. Warren and Poei did not lose a game in the pivotal second set. Kim, Warren, and Poei were victorious in straight sets in the fourth-six draw.

Up next for the CSUN women’s tennis team is a match-up against the UC Davis Aggies Sunday at the Matador Tennis Complex. The Big West Conference match will start with first serve at 1 p.m.

DOUBLES

1. Lin/Kim vs Pham/Pattugalan 8-4

2. Hsu/Poei vs Dulay/Truong 8-1

3. Rodriguez/Warren  vs Vaksman/Penner 8-3

SINGLES

1. Lin  vs Pham  6-2, 6-2

2. Hsu vs. Pattugalan 7-5, 6-0

3. Rodriguez vs Dulay  6-3, 6-1

4. Kim vs Penner 6-4, 6-2

5. Warren vs Vaksman  6-2, 6-0

6. Poei  vs Truong  6-3, 6-0