Water Polo: Ferreira’s goals couldn’t lift CSUN out of eighth at UC Irvine Invitational

File Photo/The Sundial

Correction: The original recap incorrectly stated CSUN finished seventh in the invitational. The Matadors finished eighth instead of seventh.

No. 9 CSUN water polo team finished the UC Irvine Invitational in seventh place after losing to No. 5 UC Irvine 8-3 and No. 6 Arizona State 9-7 on Sunday, Feb. 22.

This weekend’s tournament featured three top 15 ranked competitors, all of which were ranked above the Matadors.

The Matadors kept No. 5 UC Irvine to only one goal in the first frame. CSUN couldn’t hold off the Anteaters in the second frame, which gave the Anteaters a 5- 2 lead that the Matadors couldn’t rebound from.

The second match against No. 6 Arizona had the same result. In a much closer point differential, Arizona scored early on to cause CSUN to play catch–up the entire game.

CSUN fought back in the second half, outscoring Arizona 4-3. All of CSUN’s points came from multiple players, including senior Kelcie Ferreira who ended the day with three goals and the only player to score in both contests.

The Matadors have now lost three straight and look to end that streak against University of Hawai’i on Saturday, Feb. 7th.