Women’s Tennis: CSUN topples No. 29 Dartmouth

Raul Martinez
After winning her doubles match, Vivian Lin drops her singles game in two straight sets giving the only win to Towson University who lost by an overall score 6-1 to the Matadors on Tuesday, March 17. (Raul Martinez/ Staff Photographer)

The Matadors (11-2, 3-1 Big West) used two wins in doubles and three wins in singles to defeat the Dartmouth Big Green (13-2) 4-3 on a hot spring afternoon in a non-conference match Wednesday at the Matador Tennis Complex.

Dartmouth College is located in Hanover, New Hampshire and has dominated the CSUN women’s tennis team by defeating them every year since at least 2008. The Big Green defeated No. 66 Denver and No. 31 Long Beach State in their previous two matches.

In doubles play, sophomore Vivian Lin and freshman Kiryang Kim defeated junior Katherine Yau and freshman Alexxis Kiven 8-4 in the second draw. In the third draw, junior Jessica Warren and senior Criss Rodriguez defeated senior Akiko Okuda and freshman Julia Schroeder 8-2 to give CSUN a 1-0 lead.

In singles play, Kim defeated Okuda 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 in the fourth draw. In the fifth draw, sophomore Kristen Poei defeated Schroeder 2-6, 6-0, 6-4. In the sixth and final draw, Warren defeated junior Sarah Bessen 7-6, 6-1 to bring home the come-from-behind victory.

Next up for the Matadors is a Big West conference match against the nationally ranked Long Beach State Beach (10-3, 5-0 Big West). First serve from Long Beach is scheduled at 12 p.m. at the Rhodes Tennis Center.

Doubles

1. Ng/Crawford vs. Hsu/Poei 8-4

2. Lin/Kim vs. Yau/Kiven 8-4

3. Warren/Rodriguez vs. Okuda/Schroeder 8-2

Singles

1. Ng vs. Hsu 6-3, 6-1

2. Yau vs. Lin 6-1, 7-5

3. Crawford vs. Rodriguez 6-1, 6-4

4. Kim vs. Okuda 1-6, 6-3, 6-1

5. Poei vs. Schroeder 2-6, 6-0, 6-4

6. Warren vs. Bessen 7-6, 6-1