The story behind the sports fan

Back to Article
Back to Article

The story behind the sports fan

J.D. Orosco (right) and his younger brother Luis Orosco (left) are fans of rival Spanish soccer teams, Real Madrid and Barcelona. The elder Orosco fell in love with Barcelona's tiki-taka style of play and loves the level of offense they produce. It was the younger Orosco who introduced the elder to love Barcelona, and is a fan of Los Blancos to rival his brother.

Vincent Nguyen

It’s a mystery.

You’re at the Freudian Sip and see a person sporting a Boston Celtics jersey in Los Angeles, and you’re wondering why. Wearing a Larry Bird, green and white basketball jersey in the very city it’s despised in; one of the most heated rivalries in basketball, and the individual is daring enough to show it off.

It’s puzzling.

You look around you, and nearly one-in-three people in the shop has some sort of sports gear on them, whether it’s a hat, a pair of socks, a t-shirt, or even a bag. And it dawns on you. Why are they fans of that specific team? What makes that team so sentimental to them?

There are plenty of CSUN students that rock sports gear all around campus, and they wear it with pride and joy. Here are just a number of students that have a story behind the apparel they sport.

• J.D. Orosco (right) and his younger brother Luis Orosco (left) are fans of rival Spanish soccer teams, Real Madrid and Barcelona. The elder Orosco fell in love with Barcelona's tiki-taka style of play and loves the level of offense they produce. It was the younger Orosco who introduced the elder to love Barcelona, and is a fan of Los Blancos to rival his brother.

• Upon her trip to Ensenada, Mexico, junior kinesiology major Rhonda Baker stumbled upon a shop selling bags sporting NFL logos. Baker chose the 49ers bag because "it looked fly!"

• Ivan Luna, graduating senior majoring in criminal justice, grew up watching the Green Bay Packers, admiring the history behind Brett Favre and the cheeseheads. Luna chose the Packers as a team in the third grade, and hasn't looked back since.

• Sophomore communications major Phillip Johnson rocks his Floyd Mayweather t-shirt after the boxer won the "Fight of the Century." Johnson appreciates Mayweather's fighting style and has watched every single fight since 2007.

• Max Brichta, junior communication studies, sports a Chicago Cubs shirt, a gift from a friend. Brichta says he wears the shirt because of three things. "One - acknowledge the gift, acknowledge the giver. Two - there's no name so I'm no affiliating it with anyone. Three - blue is my favorite color."

• Graduate student Ben Martin used to play as a fullback when he was younger, and idolized one of the greatest defenders of all time, Roberto Carlos. Martin respected Carlos because of his stellar play, and followed him when he moved to Real Madrid. The graduate student visited Madrid to visit the Santiago Bernabeu. "If you're a soccer fan, you should go to the Bernabeu and worship the soccer gods."

• Sophomore political science major Abel Cortez sports a New York Yankees cap by the Oviatt Library. Cortez's respect for Derek Jeter and prompted him to become a Yankees fan.

• Valerie G. Russo, sophomore biology major, is a huge Los Angeles Dodgers fan, but wears a New York Yankees cap because her entire family is a Yankees fan. "I prefer Dodgers, but they took my hat away!" Russo said.

• Wesley Courtney, a communications studies graduating senior, is a huge Kevin Durant fan, and represents the Oklahoma City Thunder because of Durant. One of his favorite moments as a Thunder fan was their first time making it to the playoffs against the Los Angeles Lakers and taking them to game six.