Summer color in winter

As the fall season approaches, the beautiful tan you’ve worked on all summer is sadly starting to fade and you’re left with the struggle of figuring out how to maintain you sun-soaked skin without looking artificial.

Tanning beds are probably the first thing that come to your head. You’ll end up with the same results as laying under the sun but in a lot less time. However, trained skin care specialist and Esthetician at Kaiser, Valentine Findorff recommends staying away from tanning booths.

“California is one of the top places in the world that is leading in cancer,” says Findorff. “And with the nation’s number rising, especially with younger generation, we are seeing an increase of cancer and deaths. Approximately one person an hour dies of skin cancer.”

With those frightening statistics, trying to find a good alternative to the bed can be hard. For a gradual glow that moisturizes the skin, here are some alternatives to tanning beds and basking in the sun.

Tarte Brazilliance™ Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Face And Body Self Tanner Sephora $39

s1514926-main-grid.jpg

Best known for their award winning eco-friendly cosmetics, Tarte sells a Maracuja Oil infused self-tanner. Formulated without Parabens and Sulfates this gentle formula gives the skin a perfect golden complexion minus the orange tint.

St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Bronzing Lotion Sephora $42

s1256866-main-grid.jpg

The rich long-lasting color minus the overbearing smell has made this lotion Allure’s Best of Beauty Award Winner a tanner’s must have. With an assortment of dispenser bottles from sprays to lotions and mousses, there is something for everyone. What may make this stand apart from the others is its patented Aromaguard that eliminates up to 70 percent of the aroma. It boasts a natural tan without the streaks. This product works with your skin’s melanin to give you a natural look all while keeping your skin hydrated.

Vita Liberata pHenomenal 2-3 Week Tan Mousse Sephora $54

s1529767-main-hero-300.jpg

No. It’s not a typo. For 2 to 3 weeks you will have a natural, streak-free tan without the odor. Introducing the pHenO2 technology, your tan will last up to 4 times longer and the patented Odor Remove technology that removes every trace of any unpleasant tan smell. No matter your complexion or the color you’re trying to achieve there is something on the market for all.

Choose ‘fair’ for a subtle glow, ‘medium’ for a golden bronze, or ‘dark’ for a deep tan.

Neutrogena MicroMist Airbrush Sunless Tan Target $9.39

10801276.jpeg

From the same brand that is popular for skincare, Neutrogena has stepped into the skin tanning department. Lasting only 2 to 3 days this product may be a good start for the new self-tanners. This oil-free sunless tanner is great for those who want short-term fun for a long weekend away. Remember this is a mist, and as with any tanning product, you want to exfoliate your skin since it gives a better tan.

NIVEA Sun-Kissed Radiance Gradual Tanner & Body Lotion $6.99

13348178.jpeg

This is a tricky one. Initially, when you put it on it starts as a light color that hydrates your skin. However, for the next 5 to 7 days your skin will gradually take to a darker glow. This means with continual use you will have a beautiful natural tan with hydrated skin.

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer $7.79

14036233.jpeg

This gradual tanner takes to your skin as if it were the color you’ve always had. Taking 7 days to give optimal results, this tanner hydrates skin while giving you the radiance you can only dream of.