Alicia Silverstone’s Kind Diet

asActress Alicia Silverstone, best known for her role as Cher in Clueless, has written a book about being vegan. The Kind Diet, which was released on October 12th, gives Silverstone an opportunity to share the reasons why she decided to go vegan 11 years ago — before it became a Hollywood fad.

In the book, Silverstone details the benefits of swearing off all meat, eggs and dairy products, and like other authors (Micheal Pollan and Mark Bittman) examines the role our food decisions have on the planet. The book also includes personal vegan and macrobiotic recipes by the actress.

Although, I appreciate Silverstone’s attempt on shedding light on the impact our food choices have on the environment, the diet she describes is not practical for everyone. As a college student, it is already difficult to find healthy inexpensive food on campus. I can only imagine how much harder it would be to become vegan in a campus that has limited food options.

I applaud her animal rights work and desire to make a difference but her book and diet are not for everyone. The book can be found at all major bookstores if you would like to check it out. But as for me, I’m sticking with trying to eat local organic produce on a student budget — for now.