Conan divorces NBC for $45 million

By
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Jan. 22 marked the end of an era on late night television. “The Tonight Show” ended, for now, and one of the greatest late night talk show hosts Conan O’Brien with it. Looking back at the hosts that have graced “The Tonight Show,” Conan O’Brien is arguably one of the most popular and beloved in its history. Unfortunately, he won’t be remembered on the “Tonight Show” because he was the longest running host or won the most awards.

Conan lasted just seven months before NBC intervened and threatened to chop down the hour-long show to just 30 minutes, while giving Jay Leno his 11:35 time slot back. This was an outrage. I would have prepared myself for a somber goodbye and rallied outside of Universal Studios in support of Conan’s decision to reject the pathetic offer by NBC and its president Jeff Zucker. But I couldn’t muster up the same amount of anger and disgust that many had towards NBC for letting him go.

The immediate disappointment I carried because of Conan’s departure was quickly channeled to anger because of the reactions of the public and their shallow concerns for Conan O’Brien’s life after the show.

The media helped spurn a great debate and distaste for both NBC and Leno. The anger, backlash and reaction I heard from celebrities and friends are a show of great support, but I can’t wrap my head around the energy many people want to exhaust on people that are well-off, privileged and filthy rich.

Hello! Does anyone really care that much, or did they just want to be the next trendster to support CoCo? A group called “I’m with CoCo” was established on Facebook and the number of users that joined the group rose at an alarming rate as the messy divorce proceeded.

Does anyone really think this is it for O’Brien? It’s not. He has been in the comedy and writing business for more than two decades, and he isn’t going to be leaving permanently. It’s a matter of time before he is on Fox, ABC or HBO doing the same thing he was doing on NBC since 1993.

The poor guy is just getting so screwed, isn’t he? Think again, people. The public is crying for NBC’s head and Leno’s balls all the while O’Brien and his staff are getting more than $40 million in a settlement that finalizes O’Brien’s career at NBC. It doesn’t add up that the public gets so stirred up because of what NBC did to him. The guy received millions from NBC to walk away, which will allow him to travel the world with his family for the rest of their lives if they wanted.

This is the problem with society. It took something like the Haiti disaster to distract the public for a couple days from this sad, sad story. Even then, the public couldn’t give it up.
I’m not saying that genuine O’Brien fans don’t exist in the millions. The guy is hilarious and entertaining. I’m just as bummed that he won’t be on TV for an indefinite amount of time as much as anyone else. But there are still reruns, so he is still on TV, collecting more royalties.

Its ridiculous and nauseating to see so many say “poor Conan” and “Jay” and whoever else gets fired or laid off from television or the movies. Celebrities and entertainers make millions a year and live fantastic lives from their elitist earnings.

What about the teachers and janitors, or bus drivers, garbage workers and nurses that are getting laid off? They have their families and themselves to take care of. And they are working jobs that are vital to our lives and well-being. O’Brien, Leno, Letterman and other late night hosts cater to audiences that participate when they have the time. It’s called a luxury program that comes from a luxury invention.

It’s time to get our emotions, energy and priorities straight. We need to pick our influences on a realistic, human level and stray from the pipe dreams and trances we are entrenched in from the Internet and television. It’s time to get behind the real heroes in our neighborhoods and cities. Let’s converse about the real problems that affect us and rally around those who truly need it.

Disclaimer: The Daily Sundial is not responsible for comments posted on dailysundial.com. In accordance with the Communications Decency Act of 1996 the Sundial is not liable for the content of comments. By commenting, all persons posting on dailysundial.com have agreed to our comment policy. If a comment does not abide by the comment policy the Sundial reserves the right to delete comments without warning. The Daily Sundial advises persons commenting not to abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid comments of hate speech or encouraging violence.

• Saurabh Sharma

Comedians and musicians tend to be the most popular professionals. So protests for Conan are not hard to understand. Whatever amount of money he makes, he has been taking comedy to a higher level. And we know entertainers make plenty of money. So that is not grounds for hating him. Leno represents the Hollywood crowd, while Conan was a bit of a misfit in that scene. People like that as his image appears more real. I think he is less ‘manufactured’ than other talk show hosts. So there is support for him. why don’t you find other ‘non-issues’ to ridicule. There are plenty.

• http://www.facebook.com/jglatzer Joseph Glatzer

So NBC are corporate assholes just like everyone else. shocking. I don’t even watch TV so all I know of this useless bullshit is people’s user pics on Facebook saying “I’m with Coco”. How about this…Fuck CoCo and Fuck Jay Leno too.

None of this matters. People in this country are starving and can’t get educations and jobs because we spend all our money to wage war around the world. Why not write/or publish an article about that? As long as it doesn’t take the place of the sequel to the blowjob article, I think people will be fine with it.

• Will C

Everybody makes such a big deal about Conan’s settlement. Why shouldn’t he get the $40 mil? Think about it – all these crappy CEO’s and executives that get canned all get a “golden parachute” when they leave. Why not Conan? I think he deserves whatever he can get from NBC after the shameful way they treated him. And just in case you are wondering, some of that money went to paying severance to his staff, who relocated from New York to L.A. because of NBC’s false promises. And Conan used some of the money he got to provide severance for 50 of his stagehands who were left out of the NBC divorce deal. Conan is just a great guy all around, and I wish him success wherever he ends up.

• Rinat

And what about me? I translated Conan into Hebrew for Israeli TV, and now I’m out of a job! I’d sure love some of that $40 million compensation…. :-(